to plunge or dip entirely under water or other fluid
immerse
extinguish
entail
venerate

Need help on PSAT question

SAT Practice tests Increase your SAT test score with
plus 5.000 SAT word flash cards
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the SATŪ Test
PSAT 2006 question | SATŪ Question: Do all prepositions need an object?
Need help on PSAT question #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 23:48 pm   Need help on PSAT question

This is from REA(research and education association) PSAT and NMSQT 2006 volume. pg.21.

The Italian cultivation of classical literature had attained its highest point, and was already verging toward decline. More than a century had passed since Petrarch had kindled the first enthusiasm. It requires some effort of the imaginantion for us to realise what that movement meant. The men of the fourteenth century lived under a Church that claimed the surrender of the reason, not only in matters of faith, but in all knowledge: philosophy and science could speak only by doctors whom she sanctioned.

In the sentence "philosophy and science could speak...sanctioned"(lines 10-12), the author stresses the Church's
a.) commitment to education
b.) absolute control of thought
c.) growing sensitivity to new ideas

Why can't the answer be c.)? Isn't the church sensitive to ideas that don't adhere to its own beliefs.
do you need "to be" between "calimed" and "the"?
"under a Church that "to be" claimed the surrender of the reason"

Thank you!
Myc

Need help on PSAT question #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 18, 2006 15:59 pm   Need help on PSAT question

Hi myc

The text states quite clearly that the (Christian) Church at that time tried to control everything, any theory of science and so forth. So the answer has to be b.)

"To claim" in this context means to occupy or grab something, make it one's own. The "to be" you mentioned would slightly change the meaning of the phrase. Also in my humble opinion the "the" in front of reason is redundant and philosophy and science spoke "through" sanctioned doctors not "by" them.

Cheers
L.L.

myc wrote:

a.) commitment to education
b.) absolute control of thought
c.) growing sensitivity to new ideas

Thank you!
Lucien_Librarian

Location: Germany

SAT Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 1002 free SAT Vocabulary TestsSAT Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise SAT scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportSAT Practice Tests — Learn the most essential SAT vocabulary words you need to pass the SAT with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
Need help on PSAT question #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:05 am   Need help on PSAT question

Why would the church be the surrender of reason? Doesn't that mean that the church gave into reason, so the church now is reasonable?

Thanks so much!
Myc

Need help on PSAT question #4 (permalink) Tue Dec 19, 2006 13:16 pm   Need help on PSAT question

No. To surrender means "to give up" in this context. Surrender as a verb, not as a noun.
And "claim" rather in the sense of "demand". Because that's what the text is really saying: The Church demanded to surrender reason in order to control people's perception of the world.

myc wrote:

Thanks so much!
Lucien_Librarian

Location: Germany

ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the SATŪ Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on SAT Test Forums
SATŪ exam raw -- scaledFree SATŪ Prep site - smartdoodle.com (digital lectures, videos, etc)Jan 27 SAT2 physics discussionAdvice on the SATŪ/PSAT anyone?SATŪ vocabulary sentence completionSending SATŪ scoresFree SATŪ AdviceSATŪ ProblemsI need the curriculum for matters: I want to take SATŪ at French, Physics, Math...MATH IC - MATH IIC - help me! I will take SATŪ II exam on 2nd December.About SATŪ score reportsSATŪ Preparation siteHelp please - SATŪ - beginner