demand for goods or services; rate of purchase and sale; fair
market
exit
illustration
resist

open vs shut vs close

Meaning of 'part company with you' | I'm trying to remember your name
open vs shut vs close #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:53 am   open vs shut vs close

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", question 3

The detectives had no problems in solving the crimes as it was clearly an open and ......... case.

(a) closed
(b) closing
(c) shut
(d) shutting

Test No. incompl/inter-10 "Close/Shut", answer 3

The detectives had no problems in solving the crimes as it was clearly an open and shut case.

Correct answer: (c) shut

The detectives had no problems in solving the crimes as it was clearly an open and closed case.
_________________________

I've always wondered why open and not opened? and also why in heaven in this case is open and shut. if you see answer n5
it reads a" closed case. it doesn't add up....

Rich7

Location: Caracas, Venezuela

Open and shut #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:41 am   Open and shut

Here the words are used in an adjectival sense and in Number 5 clearly this is a verbal constuction to be closed. Consider the expression have an open mind.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
open vs shut vs close #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 13, 2007 16:43 pm   open vs shut vs close

Hi there,
I don't understand clearly about shut and close?
can you help me?
Rebecca

open vs shut vs close #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:23 am   open vs shut vs close

i don't understand too, can someone explain to us?
Kathryn Wong

open vs shut vs close #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 03, 2008 20:37 pm   open vs shut vs close

There are pairs of verbs like finish/end begin/start/ and this one 'shut and close' that have a similar meaning but are used sometimes for certain expressions. You would for example close and shut a door/a window/ but you would only 'close a discussion' and not shut it.

_________________

open vs shut vs close #6 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:26 am   open vs shut vs close

Hello! I can't get meaning of "as it was clearly an open and shut case", can you explain, please. Thank You.
Luda

open vs shut vs close #7 (permalink) Wed Jul 15, 2009 19:18 pm   open vs shut vs close

hi luda :) open and shut means a legal case or other matter that is easy to decide or solve
Goodmahsa

Location: Iran

open vs shut vs close #8 (permalink) Sun Nov 29, 2009 23:30 pm   open vs shut vs close

now it's clear
Ukki

Location: Ukraine

open vs shut vs close #9 (permalink) Mon Feb 08, 2010 14:22 pm   open vs shut vs close

Hi, Alan.

According to your explanation that

in Number 5 clearly this is a verbal constuction to be closed
but you would only 'close a discussion' and not shut it.

and the fact that you hardly mentioned the word 'shut', I suppose that you indicate that CLOSED is the correct answer as it's an adjective means to be closed. But the given answer is SHUT, so would you like to give a further explanation again? It seems not only my own question, as many friends asked this before.

Thanks in advance.

TTG
Ttg

open vs shut vs close #10 (permalink) Mon Feb 08, 2010 14:44 pm   open vs shut vs close

Hi Ttg,

The expression 'open and shut case' is an accepted idiom.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

open vs shut vs close #11 (permalink) Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:29 am   open vs shut vs close

Can this idiom be used in any situation when you talk about some problems that are easy to solve?

Alesger

Location: Azerbaijan

open vs shut vs close #12 (permalink) Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:41 am   open vs shut vs close

It is possible to use the expression in a general sense as long as there is an element of discussion for and against.

_________________
You can read my EFL story Prepositions

roars of joystrength/power/forcehe hadn't said a wordsuch a daredevilserving it to his opponentupIt's supposed to be hot and sunny all day long.What does "all this way" mean?Meaning of "come up with"Who is suspected of rogers murder?Meaning of ThoroughlyMeaning of paceVocabulary words like huge