to vouch for; to give a warranty; to assure; to promise
guarantee
profit
foresee
exclude

Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"?

Every 100 Indian boys... What it's saying? | It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)
Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:36 am   Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"?

hi all

can i say "the cows were all milked out." ?
dose it have the same meaning with "the cows were all milked dry"?

thank you
Danial2007

Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"? #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:23 am   Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"?

Hi Danial

I'm not a specialist on cows, but it seems to me that 'milk out' and 'milk dry' would have similar meanings when referring to milking a cow.

But only 'milk dry' would be used figuratively (i.e. referring to something other than a cow).

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"? #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:07 am   Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"?

'Milked out' sounds odd to me and almost suggests that the poor cows had overdosed on milk.

_________________

Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"? #4 (permalink) Sat Dec 23, 2006 23:39 pm   Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"?

:lol: (a milk-out-my-nose laugh)

Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"? #5 (permalink) Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:52 am   Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"?

.
I would have thought that 'dry' was the more idiomatic...and indeed it is, except for cows. Dairy websites seem to use 'out' more frequently:

Typically applying the [milking machine] unit to a cow with full letdown allows maximum flow rates to be achieved immediately and milk-out will be rapid.

The Dairymaster milkers stay on and milk the cows out well.

Do not use a cow milking machine. They do not give good service, and in time injure the cow, besides causing them to run dry quicker.

Most cows will milk out in 5 to 7 minutes.

Some cows are slow to milk out. This may occur because they produce more milk than can be removed in 5 minutes, even with maximal removal efficiency. Or, cows may have structural problems with the teat end or inside the udder that makes them milk out slowly.

The animal was milked dry and then fifteen minutes later milked dry again. ... Each was milked dry at 9 a.m. and again at 4 p.m.; at 6 p.m

There is also 'over-milk':

Most people milking cows tend to over-milk the udder.

While it does result in removal of more milk from the quarters, it also results in overmilking and more stress on the gland.

.
Ms Google makes it roughly a toss up:

18,800 English pages for "milked dry"
30,000 English pages for "milked out"

You'll notice that the first page of the former is almost all idiomatic, while the first page of the latter is almost all dairy-oriented.
.
_________________

Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"? #6 (permalink) Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:33 am   Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"?

thank all of you for the detailed information!
Danial2007

Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"? #7 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 15:38 pm   Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"?

"milked dry" is more common... I can't say I've ever heard the phrase "milked out".

"Milked dry" is also used figuratively, as others (Yankee first) have already said.

I've spent all of the money in my pocket. My funds have been milked dry. (may also put a semicolon between the sentences, in which case the "M" in "My" would be lower-case... of course.)
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

"Addict to" vs "Addict of""Arrange" vs "Arrange for"The noun 'work' and its pluralFarther objection vs. Further objectionGrammar question Why not plus ing-form?128, 000, 000 for ResponsAble… :)Do all adjectives + ly become adverb?Expression: "Spending money"Happy new year 2007 :)"one year" vs. "a year"'Assistive' - the word is a bit tricky...'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life'They elected him president vs. They elected him as president