Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

one part of a hundred
percent
instructor
goal
railroad
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society...

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Articles: Generic and Definite | Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?
listening exercises
Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society... #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 29, 2006 14:01 pm   Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society...

Hi Teachers,

1. Effective relations between labor and management are very highly important in an industrial society. (Is it right to use 'very' together with 'highly'?

2. In the nineteenth century, Red Cloud rose to leader among the Sioux through his bravery in battle and wisdom in council. (Can i change it to "rose to leadership?)

3. Adobe bricks are made by wetting clay, mixing it with straw or hay, and packing into wooden frames. (There are four underlined choices. I think we should add 'it' after packing'. Is that right?

Thank you.

Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society... #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 29, 2006 14:29 pm   Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society...

Hi Rosalisa

Better to use extremely in 1.".................management are extremely important....."

Sounds better to say 2"......... rose to leadership of the Sioux..." but personally would stick with leader.

and "it" would be better in 3.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society... #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 29, 2006 17:26 pm   Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society...

Rosalisa wrote:
1. Effective relations between labor and management are very highly important in an industrial society. (Is it right to use 'very' together with 'highly'?)

"Very highly" is excessively over-redundant. "Highly" is plenty, or as Stew said, you could go with "extremely".

Rosalisa wrote:
2. In the nineteenth century, Red Cloud rose to leader among the Sioux through his bravery in battle and wisdom in council. (Can i change it to "rose to leadership?)

"Leadership" would sound better in that sentence, but you can also say "rose to become leader of the Sioux".

Rosalisa wrote:
3. Adobe bricks are made by wetting clay, mixing it with straw or hay, and packing into wooden frames. (There are four underlined choices. I think we should add 'it' after packing'. Is that right?)

Colloquially, some people would speak in this kind of shorthand, but as Stew says, and as you say, we should add "it" after "packing".
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society... #4 (permalink) Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:33 am   Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society...

Thank you very much indeed, Stew and Jamie, for clearing out my doubts. :D

Articles: Generic and Definite | Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Expression: "Spending money""one year" vs. "a year"'Assistive' - the word is a bit tricky...'somewhere in smb.ís life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.ís life'They elected him president vs. They elected him as presidentQuadruple of...?The use of "#"Expression: 'Most users ever online was 195 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 22:18 pm'Common nouns, unusual verbs: "Breakfast, something" etcCloze PassageCurriculm vs. curriclaSubject verb agreement?Present simple negative