in place of; as a replacement
instead
originally
downtown
severely

Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?

Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society... | Differences between 'agree on', 'agree with' and 'agree to'
Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 29, 2006 17:58 pm   Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?

Would the line "my imprecation lies(...)" be considered proper English?

It's not a line of my own, mind you - I don't think it looks quite right - but I would like to know whether or not "imprecation" can be used like that.

I hope one of you can help. And if this kind of question is inappropriate for these forums, I apologize.
Necroprog

Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English? #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:09 am   Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?

I think it's pretty safe to say that most native English speakers don't even know the word imprecation.

Since an imprecation is not a person, it's hard to imagine that it could lie, although we do say that books and movies lie.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English? #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 30, 2006 15:42 pm   Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?

Hey, thanks for your answer, Jamie. I appreciate it. (:

Haha, yes, I'd say the same goes for the majority of non-native speakers - the person who I got the line from had clearly paid a visit or two to dictionary.com during his writing process.

According to the aforementioned site, "imprecation" is defined as:
1. the act of imprecating; cursing
2. a curse; malediction, so I'm thinking he means his lies have qualities similar to those of curses, if that makes any sense. If that's what he's aiming for, would "imprecating" be a more acceptable word, or would completely scrapping it in favour of another word be the best way to go about it?

Again, thanks.
Necroprog

Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Expression: "Spending money"Happy new year 2007 :)"one year" vs. "a year"'Assistive' - the word is a bit tricky...'somewhere in smb.ís life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.ís life'They elected him president vs. They elected him as presidentQuadruple of...?Articles: Generic and DefiniteThe use of "#"Expression: 'Most users ever online was 195 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 22:18 pm'Common nouns, unusual verbs: "Breakfast, something" etcCloze PassageCurriculm vs. curricla