to leave out; to keep out; to prevent from happening or being; to reject
privatize
retire
engage
exclude

Articles: Generic and Definite

The use of "#" | Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society...
Articles: Generic and Definite #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:47 am   Articles: Generic and Definite

I am still confused about the difference between definite plural nouns with "in" and generic plural nouns with "in". I know that the generic plural noun is used to refer to a group or all members of a class. I also know that indefinite nouns are different from generic nouns since the second mention of a generic noun does not need "the".

However, I found "A" and "B" below in my reading. I think that since "in" makes the plural nouns in "A" and "B" definite, I am confused why "the" was not used before the plural nouns. Please correct me with how I have felt the statements in "A" and "B" should be stated as set out in 1-4 under "A" and 1-2 under "B", which represent my interpretations.

I am also confused about "C" and "D". My interpretations are in 1-2 under "C" and 1-3 under "D"

A. Governors throughout country Y talked to their constituents in 2004 about how a lagging economy had weakened states in the country.

1. Governors in country Y talked to their constituents in 2004 about how a lagging economy had weakened states in the country.

2. The governors in country Y talked to their constituents in 2004 about how a lagging economy had weakened the states in the country.

3. All governors in country Y talked to their constituents in 2004 about how a lagging economy had weakened all states in the country.

4. All the governors in country Y talked to their constituents in 2004 about how a lagging economy had weakened all the states in the nation.

B. Politics has become a productive process of decision making in country Y. In 2004 in particular, politics in country Y was shaped by activists.

1. Politics has become a process of decision making in country Y. In 2004, the politics in country Y was shaped by activists.

2. Politics has become a process of decision making in country Y. In 2004, the pattern of politics in country Y was shaped by activists.

C. The right to privacy is considered important in country Y. This right is specifically supported by stringent conditions in Article B of Country Y's Constitution and national legislative intervention in the Paul case of 2004.

1. The right to privacy is considered important in country Y. This right is specifically supported by the stringent conditions in Article B of Country Y's Constitution and the national legislative intervention in the Paul case of 2004.

2. The right to privacy is considered important in country Y. This right is specifically supported by some/most of the stringent conditions in Article B of Country Y's Constitution and the national legislative intervention in the Paul case of 2004.

D. 140 million citizens live in a municipality in country Y.

Note: This is a generic statement; country Y has more than one municipality.
1. 140 million citizens each live in a municipality in country Y.
2. All municipalities in country Y are homes to 140 million citizens.
3. All municipalities in country Y are a home to 140 million citizens.

Please correct me.
Kooiu

"one year" vs. "a year"'Assistive' - the word is a bit tricky...'somewhere in smb.ís life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.ís life'They elected him president vs. They elected him as presidentQuadruple of...?Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?Expression: 'Most users ever online was 195 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 22:18 pm'Common nouns, unusual verbs: "Breakfast, something" etcCloze PassageCurriculm vs. curriclaSubject verb agreement?Present simple negativeIs it inversion?