temporary stop; standstill; break or pause in a march or journey
letter
contract
entertainment
halt

Quadruple of...?

Differences between 'agree on', 'agree with' and 'agree to' | Expression: 'Most users ever online was 195 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 22:18 pm'
Quadruple of...? #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:38 am   Quadruple of...?

Hi!

I?ve read the above expression at http://dict.leo.org as an alternative to four times. As I never heard or read it before I wonder whether it is commonly known and used? And if, what the matter is to use it?

Michael
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

Quadruple of...? #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 30, 2006 16:26 pm   Quadruple of...?

The word 'quadruple' is probably used as much in Latin languages as in English, though not as commonly as 'double' or 'triple'. It's easier to say 'the population has quadrupled in the last ten years' than 'the population has multiplied four times in the last ten years'. It also depends on the desired effect, I suppose.

Some other 'uples' are:

quintuple, sextuple, septuple, octuple, nonuple and decuple.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Quadruple of...? #3 (permalink) Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:54 am   Quadruple of...?

As an alternative you could used "fourfold";

The population has increased fourfold in the last decade.

= The population has quadrupled .....................
= The population has increased fourtimes in the last decade.

Note: Quadrupled allows you to not have to use a word to indicate a rise in the amount, i.e. increase.
_________________
Please meet Stewart Tunncilff
Stew.t.

Location: Leipzig, Germany

Every 100 Indian boys... What it's saying?Expression: "Spending money"Happy new year 2007 :)"one year" vs. "a year"'Assistive' - the word is a bit tricky...'somewhere in smb.ís life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.ís life'They elected him president vs. They elected him as presidentArticles: Generic and DefiniteWould the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society...The use of "#"Common nouns, unusual verbs: "Breakfast, something" etcCloze Passage