to eat or drink; to use up; to destroy
consist
plug
consume
penalize

'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life'

They elected him president vs. They elected him as president | 'Assistive' - the word is a bit tricky...
'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life' #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:40 am   'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life'

How would you say that:

(…) somewhere in his life or (…) somewhen (some when ?) in his life

(…) - can be, for example, a description of some predicted or desired event, "he" is expected to have in his lifetime
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life' #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:49 am   'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life'

Hi Tamara,

'Somewhen' is interesting but not possible, I'm afraid. I would suggest: At some time in his life ....

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life' #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:43 am   'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life'

Good year to all! :)

Hi Alan!

Thank you for your response.
At some time in his life ....
I know the form and use it.
To make my point more specific (and add some more to my last-year question :)) :

1) If/When I am talking about an event (or some momentary act) can I equivalently use ‘At some point’ of his life…’?

2) When an ‘English native speaker’ is talking about the lifetime (as I understand, keeping in mind the line metaphor for the time), is there a context in which ‘(s)he‘ still can use ‘(some)where’ expressions (rather 'spacial' than 'time', I mean)?
(in Russian, for example, we can say – literally - something like ‘on some segment/length of his life…’)

3) What’s wrong with somewhen? Just archaic?
Could anybody say something about its use in modern English?

Dictionary definition: somewhen adv. At some indefinite time.)

BNC examples:

B31 950 The species was probably first introduced into Sussex somewhen in the second half of the 19th century, and the largest flock in the county, at Petworth Park, was started somewhen between 1918 and 1930.

CET 1438 If --; and it is a very big `;if'; --; the matter sucked into a black hole must reappear somewhere and somewhen else, we must ask ourselves what the other end of the `;tunnel'; would be like.

Google search for the expression somewhen during (about 42,100 of cases) provides some quite logical sentences.
For example, We expect that the nodes will be available again somewhen during the next day.
_________________
Tamara

'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life' #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 01, 2007 14:27 pm   'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life'

.
I'd never heard "somewhen" either and would have immediately corrected any ESL learner who used it. But I've now discovered that Webster's actually has an entry for this word. :shock:

Even so, I wouldn't recommend using this word, Tamara -- despite the obvious logic of it. :wink:

_________________

Grammar question Why not plus ing-form?Every 100 Indian boys... What it's saying?It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)128, 000, 000 for ResponsAble… :)Do all adjectives + ly become adverb?Expression: "Spending money"Happy new year 2007 :)"one year" vs. "a year"Quadruple of...?Articles: Generic and DefiniteWould the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society...The use of "#"