to require; to compel; to force upon; to enforce; to institute
floor
second
execute
impose

"one year" vs. "a year"

Expression: "My husband keeps on about me having a baby" | They elected him president vs. They elected him as president
"one year" vs. "a year" #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:29 pm   "one year" vs. "a year"

Hello!
I'm new here and I have a question. Should we use the indefinite article or the numeral in these examples:

I will live there a year.
or
I will live there one year.

Thank you!
Camie

"one year" vs. "a year" #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:42 pm   "one year" vs. "a year"

Hi and welcome to the site,

I think you should add 'for' to both sentences. The only difference is in the suggestion that 'a' is more general than the use of 'one' If you say: I will live there for one year, you are being very precise about the duration of your stay but of course the meaning is the same for both because it is still 12 months.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
"one year" vs. "a year" #3 (permalink) Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:47 pm   "one year" vs. "a year"

Thank you for your answer!

In fact while writing the sentences I wasn't sure whether to use "for" or not. :)
Camie

"one year" vs. "a year" #4 (permalink) Sun Dec 31, 2006 15:17 pm   "one year" vs. "a year"

Thanks, Alan. :D

Am I allowed to shed some of my light on the sentences? :shock: Please see if I am right!

Hi Camie

When "one" is understood, we use "a". For example:

1- I want a cup of tea. ("one" is understood)

2- The bus fell into a ravine but only "one" passenger was killed. (Here we cannot use "a" because we have to be precise, as Alan said in his explanation.

"one year" vs. "a year" #5 (permalink) Sun Dec 31, 2006 15:42 pm   "one year" vs. "a year"

Hi Tom,

Spot on!

_________________

Grammar question Why not plus ing-form?Every 100 Indian boys... What it's saying?It cannot, nor it is not. 'double inversion'? :)Do all adjectives + ly become adverb?Expression: "Spending money"Happy new year 2007 :)'Assistive' - the word is a bit tricky...'somewhere in smb.s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.s life'Quadruple of...?Articles: Generic and DefiniteWould the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society...The use of "#"