direct or incidental reference; recognition of an achievement
section
facilitator
mention
enlargement

Happy new year 2007 :)

Expression: "Spending money" | Every 100 Indian boys... What it's saying?
Happy new year 2007 :) #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:51 am   Happy new year 2007 :)

1. Could you give (all :)) ‘correct’ combinations for ‘happy’, ‘new’, ‘2007’ and ‘year’?
(I actually don’t know where is the best place of/for ‘2007’ :))

happy new year 2007? new 2007 year? …

2. Which article – definite, indefinite, zero - should I use in my greetings when mentioning a specific year?
How does ‘a new year 2007’ sound to you?

(Wishing you the/a (?) good new year 2007 :))
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

Happy new year 2007 :) #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 01, 2007 14:11 pm   Happy new year 2007 :)

Hi Tamara

If I were to use the year (number) instead of simply saying "Happy New Year", I'd say (for example) "Happy 2007!" or "Have a happy and healthy 2007!"

To me saying both "new year" and "2007" is redundant since in the context they can both be seen as proper names for the same thing.

You can't say "Happy new 2007" because that would suggest there was an old 2007. 8)

You can use the this way:
"I hope the new year brings you health and happiness."

Happy 2007, Tamara.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Happy new year 2007 :) #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 01, 2007 17:03 pm   Happy new year 2007 :)

Thank you, Amy. Happy 2007 to you too.
This year I'm glad to see and read you as well as I really was during the last one. Even more, I'd say. Plus (laaarge) 1.
:)

"Have a happy and healthy 2007!
Hmm... Use of the indefinite article with definite/unique things - '2007th year' in this case - always makes me a bit confusing... but OK...
Let it be as you (and "they") say. :)

You can't...
OK...

By the way, in Russian we say that - 'Happy new 2007'' - actually knowing that it's 'incorrect' (stricty speaking :))
and that 'new' in 'Happy New Year' is just a part of the fixed expression.

So... in fact, English is just a bit stronger here :)

PS By the way, just as a matter of different Russian church calendar, Russian people also celebrate the Old New Year Day (this is as it is named), on 14th of January.
I love this day. :)
_________________
Tamara

Happy new year 2007 :) #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 01, 2007 21:42 pm   Happy new year 2007 :)

Hi Tamara!

Wish you all the best for your Old Russian New Year Day. I assume you?re not allowed to have firework in England, are you? Well, in a case of emergency you could hit the spoons on the pot! :wink:

I myself usually behave more aristocratic on New Year Eve (Sylvester abend in Germany). While calming down our horses which are always nervous (same procedure as every year) :D I enjoy seeing the fireworks in the towns round our "castle" (3 directions in the forth there is a bush).

See you

Michael
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

Happy new year 2007 :) #5 (permalink) Mon Jan 01, 2007 21:57 pm   Happy new year 2007 :)

Fan of Arabian horses wrote:
(same procedure as every year) :D
:lol:
I really missed all the New Year's Eve broadcasts of "Dinner For One" last night. It's virtually unknown in the US. :cry:
http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa010101a.htm

_________________

Happy new year 2007 :) #6 (permalink) Tue Jan 02, 2007 14:47 pm   Happy new year 2007 :)

Hi! :) :D

I assume you?re not allowed to have firework in England, are you?
Why not, Michael? We had and done it. And can/may still have.
Could. If wanted. :)

Actually, when my son was a bit younger, he bought (being supported by his father, my husband :))
and hoarded lots of fireworks – from the smallest parcels to quite large 'party' fireworks boxes
- usually, before the Bonfire night (In Britain this is the time when they are on sale and available in plenty)

and we could 'enjoy' the entertainment :) the whole year round - in our own back garden, in the field or in the countryside. :)

But this year we just saw 'public fireworks', and all the noise we still produced :) was just because these two weeks (from 24th, December till Russian Christmas, on January, 7 :)) we have been (being?) visited by two our old Moscow friends... and I'd say, our house and all its people has had a very… hmm…joyous life. :)
This morning they both left South Anglia for Scotland, for three days, but hopefully will come back - safe and sound. :)
_________________
Tamara

"Addict to" vs "Addict of"The noun 'work' and its pluralGrammar question Why not plus ing-form?It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)128, 000, 000 for ResponsAble… :)Do all adjectives + ly become adverb?"one year" vs. "a year"'Assistive' - the word is a bit tricky...'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life'They elected him president vs. They elected him as presidentQuadruple of...?Whether or ...?Would the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?