something previously mentioned or indicated
above
interview
feed
rebound

It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)

Can I say "the cows were all milked dry or out"? | Grammar question Why not plus ing-form?
It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :) #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:49 am   It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)

I know that nor normally insists on the inversed word order, as, for example, in:

Nor is it sufficient to add that…

But sometimes (rare) I meet not-inversed sentences.
Just two examples:

It cannot, nor it is not.

Nor it is worth pursuing that the sandwiches at 10 Downing Street were probably very much better than those in The Centenary at Norton.

Could you explain, in what cases the inversion with nor is NOT used (and why)?
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :) #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:12 am   It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)

Hi Tamara,

Your two examples:

It cannot, nor it is not.

sound very odd to me and cry out for inversion. Where do they come from?

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :) #3 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 am   It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)

Hi Alan,

Where do they come from?

Both are taken from the British National Corpus.

(My own examples are all just 'in spoken'.)
_________________
Tamara

It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :) #4 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:19 am   It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)

They still sound very odd and I believe that not having inversion after 'nor' should be avoided. The only thing I can think of this early in the morning would be a sentence following in parethesis but then requiring inversion later as in:

Nor, it should be noted, would that be acceptable.

_________________

It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :) #5 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 16:39 pm   It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)

Aha... So the rule is strict.

Thanks a lot, Alan.
_________________
Tamara

It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :) #6 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 17:49 pm   It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)

it's very odd

Maybe it should be:

It cannot be, nor is it.
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :) #7 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 17:51 pm   It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)

"It cannot be" is a statement to the effect that something cannot happen (in the future or as a rule -- axiom).

"Nor is it" means that it is not (whatever).

Because we're dealing with both present tense and an expectation for the future, this should be stated thusly:

It is not, nor can it be.
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :) #8 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 18:01 pm   It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)

Maybe it should be

I don't know... :? :cry:

All I did was a search in the BNC with nor it is, because it was the exact part of a sentence I had been actaully confused...

... Have a look:

_________________
Tamara

It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :) #9 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 18:04 pm   It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)

the correct order in that phrase is "nor is it..."
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

"Addict to" vs "Addict of"Criminal lexicals: vandalism, arsonist, etc"Arrange" vs "Arrange for"The noun 'work' and its pluralFarther objection vs. Further objectionEvery 100 Indian boys... What it's saying?128, 000, 000 for ResponsAble… :)Do all adjectives + ly become adverb?Expression: "Spending money"Happy new year 2007 :)"one year" vs. "a year"'Assistive' - the word is a bit tricky...'somewhere in smb.’s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.’s life'