to be talented; to do very well; to surpass; to do better than
wrong
involve
warehouse
excel

Grammar question Why not plus ing-form?

It cannot, nor it is not. 'double inversion'? :) | Do all adjectives + ly become adverb?
Grammar question Why not plus ing-form? #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 16:36 pm   Grammar question Why not plus ing-form?

Can you say : Why not going home now?
Blacky

Grammar question Why not plus ing-form? #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 16:44 pm   Grammar question Why not plus ing-form?

Welcome, Blacky!

As far as I know, 'why not + -ing is not good English. But you can say: "Why not go home now?".

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Grammar question Why not plus ing-form? #3 (permalink) Wed Jan 03, 2007 18:21 pm   Grammar question Why not plus ing-form?

"Why not go home now?" is a suggestion. You're really saying, "Let's go home now."

It is possible that the question is not rhetorical... that the asker is actually wanting reasons for not going home. In practice, though, it's usually a plea to leave.

"Why aren't we going home now?" or "Why aren't we going (leaving) now?" is just about the same -- let's get out of here!
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

"Addict to" vs "Addict of"Criminal lexicals: vandalism, arsonist, etc"Arrange" vs "Arrange for"The noun 'work' and its pluralFarther objection vs. Further objectionEvery 100 Indian boys... What it's saying?128, 000, 000 for ResponsAble :)Expression: "Spending money"New Years Eve...Happy new year 2007 :)"one year" vs. "a year"'Assistive' - the word is a bit tricky...'somewhere in smb.s life' vs. 'somewhen in smb.s life'