Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

obligation; responsibility; assignment; customs tax
collection
ad
irritation
duty
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"Arrange" vs "Arrange for"

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
"Addict to" vs "Addict of" | Farther objection vs. Further objection
listening exercises
"Arrange" vs "Arrange for" #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:16 am   "Arrange" vs "Arrange for"

Hi

Could you please tell me the difference between:

1- He has to arrange a flat in the new city.
2- He has to arrange for a flat in the new city.

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"Arrange" vs "Arrange for" #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:46 am   "Arrange" vs "Arrange for"

1- He has to arrange a flat in the new city.
2- He has to arrange for a flat in the new city.

Although 'arrange' can have several meanings, both your sentences suggest the same sense of 'organizing', especially as you've added 'in the new city'. To me they both mean: 'He has to find a flat in the new city'. The first sentence, however, could also mean that he already has a flat and has to adapt it, making some changes to it.
Conchita
Language Coach

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
"Addict to" vs "Addict of" | Farther objection vs. Further objection
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Two sentences from an adapted text... :)The use of "although and but" togetherExpression : 'Although she was hesitant for a space, she soon overcame it.'Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :)Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc"Criminal lexicals: vandalism, arsonist, etcThe noun 'work' and its pluralGrammar question Why not plus ing-form?Every 100 Indian boys... What it's saying?It cannot, nor it is not. – 'double inversion'? :)128, 000, 000 for ResponsAble… :)Do all adjectives + ly become adverb?New Years Eve...