Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

pressing; compelling; immediate; prompt
mediocre
own
uncertain
urgent
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc"

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
New Years Eve... | Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :)
listening exercises
Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc" #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:19 am   Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc"

Hi

I would like to discuss vocabulary regarding teeth. Could you please help me out???

1- The child's teeth are coming. (Is the word coming OK or is there some better alternative?)

2- He wants his front tooth implanted. (What would the opposite action called?) Please see below:

3- He wants his front tooth eradicated.

4- He wants his front tooth installed. (How does install sound to you?)

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc" #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:26 am   Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc"

Hi Tom

Opposite of implanted would be removed. Eradicate is a little too strong it means totally destroyed. Install is not really used for people, until we become half cyberhumans ; )
So sentences 3 & 4 eradicate.
Sentence 1 is fine and the most common form. But you could use .......are just breaking through (the gums).

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc" #3 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 13:27 pm   Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc"

Hi Tom

Here is my two cents' worth:

1. I'd use "coming in" rather than just "coming".

2. I'm not comfortable with this sentence since I can't understand what exactly he wants to have done. As I see things, an implant generally isn't visible and an implant is often something artificial. Technically, the only part of a tooth that can be implanted is the root. So, if his original tooth (along with the root) had been removed and is now to be put back in, then I might say "re-implanted".

3. A typical verb to use when you talk about removing a tooth is "extract". You can also say "pull a tooth".

4. As Stew mentioned, you don't "install" teeth (unless you're trying to be humorous ;)).

Amy

Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc" #4 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 19:28 pm   Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc"

Tom wrote:
1- The child's teeth are coming. (Is the word coming OK or is there some better alternative?)

The child's teeth are coming in.
or
The child is teething. (This is the verb teethe.)

Tom wrote:
2- He wants his front tooth implanted. (What would the opposite action called?)

He wants his front tooth implanted, or reimplanted, as the case may be. We might say he wants an implant to replace his front tooth.

The opposite would be to say formally that he is having his front tooth extracted, or in ordinary language we would say he's having his front tooth pulled.

You can also have a tooth capped, rebuilt, reconstructed, crowned and some other things, depending on what has to be done. You never have a tooth installed.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc" #5 (permalink) Fri Jan 05, 2007 0:45 am   Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc"

Jamie, it looks as if you haven't read Amy's post. Some of your sentences are practically a replica of hers! :)
      Conchita
      Language Coach

Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc" #6 (permalink) Fri Jan 05, 2007 0:51 am   Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc"

Conchita wrote:

Jamie, it looks as if you haven't read Amy's post. Some of your sentences are practically a replica of hers! :)

Amy's post wasn't up there when I submitted mine.
          Jamie (K)
          I'm a Communicator ;-)

New Years Eve... | Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :)
          ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
          Page 1 of 1
          Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
          Expression: " Hotel crab Hotel...""Audience" vs "Audiences"What are a say reader, a hear reader and a sight reader?"printer companies" is that ok?Two sentences from an adapted text... :)The use of "although and but" togetherExpression : 'Although she was hesitant for a space, she soon overcame it.'"Addict to" vs "Addict of"Criminal lexicals: vandalism, arsonist, etc"Arrange" vs "Arrange for"The noun 'work' and its pluralFarther objection vs. Further objection128, 000, 000 for ResponsAble… :)