Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to fall on; to storm; to invade; to attack; to seize; to assault
pounce
compute
dedicate
allay
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :)

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc" | Expression : 'Although she was hesitant for a space, she soon overcame it.'
listening exercises
Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :) #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:44 am   Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :)

Hi

I don’t pretend to get a general rule for using ‘larger’ or ‘bigger’ with ALL/ANY English uncountable noun(s)… :)

Just a particular case.

Which one would you use (if needed :)): larger temptation or bigger temptation
?

Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :) #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:29 am   Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :)

Hi Tamara

Both are acceptable and I have heard people use both. Personally I would prefer bigger temptation.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :) #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:51 am   Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :)

Hi

I think we can also say stronger temptation, bigger temptation and greater temptation.

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :) #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:54 am   Larger temptation vs bigger temptation :)

Hi,

Although 'big' and 'large' both refer to size, 'large' often has the idea of breadth as well. With that in mind I would plump for 'bigger temptation' . You can get a feel for the idea of 'large' in its adverb form 'largely' as in: As the government had a huge majority within parliament, the views of the smaller parties were largely (to a great extent) ignored.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Vocabulary regarding teeth: "implant, come etc" | Expression : 'Although she was hesitant for a space, she soon overcame it.'
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Expression: " Hotel crab Hotel...""Forward me" vs "Forward to me""Audience" vs "Audiences"What are a say reader, a hear reader and a sight reader?"printer companies" is that ok?Two sentences from an adapted text... :)The use of "although and but" together"Addict to" vs "Addict of"Criminal lexicals: vandalism, arsonist, etc"Arrange" vs "Arrange for"The noun 'work' and its pluralFarther objection vs. Further objection128, 000, 000 for ResponsAble… :)