property; financial means; assets; main city of a country of region
system
patch
capital
service

What's the origin of the phrase: "Down Under"?

Meaning of slip | Meaning of online
What's the origin of the phrase: "Down Under"? #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 07, 2007 19:39 pm   What's the origin of the phrase: "Down Under"?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #17 "Down to Earth", question 10

They've had enough of the bad climate and high taxes here and have gone to live down under.

(a) in America
(b) in China
(c) in Australia
(d) in India

ESL/EFL Test #17 "Down to Earth", answer 10

They've had enough of the bad climate and high taxes here and have gone to live in Australia.

Correct answer: (c) in Australia
_________________________

What's the origin of this phrase? Why does it stand for Australia?

Thank you in advance.
Anchela
Anchela

What's the origin of the phrase: "Down Under"? #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 07, 2007 22:37 pm   What's the origin of the phrase: "Down Under"?

Australia and New Zealand are sometimes referred to as 'Down Under' because of their geographical location below the equator. They are also humourously called 'the Antipodes'.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of slip | Meaning of online
These words are a bit unfamiliar!meaning of loanIdiom: Made your hair stand up on endMeaning of "cheer somebody on/up"Meaning of "blow up"Meaning of "about 1500 square feet when construction"very busy vs. occupied with the workexpression: 'tell me the truth'Meaning of "once in a blue moon"Baggage reclaim vs. baggage claimMeaning of annulmentMeaning of "safety deposit box"Meaning of wine cellar