forceful; energetic; vigorous; spirited; alive
dynamic
permanent
introductory
inspiring

Meaning of "blow up"

Meaning of "cheer somebody on/up" | Idiom: Made your hair stand up on end
Meaning of "blow up" #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:20 am   Meaning of "blow up"

ESL/EFL Test #165 "Phrasal Verbs (A to B)", question 7

No one at the office expected him to lose his temper and ......... the way he did.

(a) blow away
(b) blow over
(c) blow up

ESL/EFL Test #165 "Phrasal Verbs (A to B)", answer 7

No one at the office expected him to lose his temper and blow up the way he did.

Correct answer: (c) blow up

No one at the office expected him to lose his temper and blow away the way he did.
_________________________

In my dictionary I have two meanings " blow up''- to curse and to get a miff, what is correct? If I understand the sentance right the verb curse is much better here. Am I right?

Alena
Alena

Meaning of "blow up" #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:48 am   Meaning of "blow up"

Hi Alena

When someone blows up, they don't necessarily curse, but because there is a very sudden outburst of anger, the person's words are usually loud and angry.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "blow up" #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:26 pm   Meaning of "blow up"

Remember also, Alena that 'blow up' can mean 'explode' as of a bomb and of course if you transfer the meaning to the way a person reacts, you can see that it means behave in a violent way.

_________________

"get away" vs "get off/get in"dig vs. spadeThese words are a bit unfamiliar!come down hard on you vs. reprimandmeaning of loanMeaning of "about 1500 square feet when construction"very busy vs. occupied with the workexpression: 'tell me the truth'Meaning of "once in a blue moon"Meaning of onlineWhat's the origin of the phrase: "Down Under"?Meaning of slipBaggage reclaim vs. baggage claim