Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

display; layout; clothing; menu
sound
attention
array
improvement
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

contraction/omission of 'which'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Beating the clock? | thought vs considered
listening exercises
contraction/omission of 'which' #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:11 am   contraction/omission of 'which'

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #80 "Company Decisions", question 10

Especially large corporations ......... on an international scale create and pursue a human resources policy covering many different aspects.

(a) operates
(b) operating
(c) operation
(d) operated

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #80 "Company Decisions", answer 10

Especially large corporations operating on an international scale create and pursue a human resources policy covering many different aspects.

Correct answer: (b) operating

Hi,

Could you tell me why operated is wrong or not so good as operating?

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Operating #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:53 am   Operating

Hi Haihao,

This is really a contraction of: Especially large corporations which are operating ... The word operating suggests working.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
contraction/omission of 'which' #3 (permalink) Sat Jan 23, 2010 13:04 pm   contraction/omission of 'which'

Hi Sir..

How can we differentiate whether the sentence such a contraction or not? I am in a half of understanding ;).

Thank a million..
Watie
I'm here quite often ;-)

contraction/omission of 'which' #4 (permalink) Sat Jan 23, 2010 13:21 pm   contraction/omission of 'which'

Hi,

The present participle 'operating' following the noun suggests that this is what the noun 'is doing'. By using 'operated' after the noun you are then using the past simple tense and that wouldn't make sense in the test sentence because the next verb 'pursue' is in the present.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Beating the clock? | thought vs considered
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is an icon?Should it not be charity begins at home?What does call the tune mean here?When somebody has bought the farm, they have died.furnished the company?Many kinds of flowers bloom?What does pass away mean?Short answer: yes, he does.Zebras look like stripes and horsesWhy doesn't 'clear' fit here?Idiomatic meaning of "I'm so burnt"whipped vs. struckOutlet Stores