part; portion; slice; piece
achievement
segment
receipt
climate

dig vs. spade

These words are a bit unfamiliar! | meaning of "Underhand"
dig vs. spade #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 11, 2007 23:56 pm   dig vs. spade

ESL/EFL Test #44 "Scandal", question 2

At least that's what he thought until the press started trying to ......... up something about his past.

(a) push
(b) dig
(c) spade
(d) fork

ESL/EFL Test #44 "Scandal", answer 2

At least that's what he thought until the press started trying to dig up something about his past.

Correct answer: (b) dig

At least that's what he thought until the press started trying to spade up something about his past.
_________________________

please explain why the answer is dig not spade

lou
lou

dig vs. spade #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 am   dig vs. spade

Hi Lou

Spade is only used as a verb with a very literal meaning and a very specific tool must be used. The verb spade means 'to dig, cut or remove with a spade'.

The verb dig can be used figuratively and also is not connected to one specific tool.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Explanation: I really must write that lettermeaning of interfacing, insertion, intercalationWhat are the meanings of these phrasal verbs with 'get'?What is the meaning of the phrasal verb 'check in'?Is superfluous a noun?assist vs. devoteWho was Desdemona?"get away" vs "get off/get in"come down hard on you vs. reprimandmeaning of loanIdiom: Made your hair stand up on endMeaning of "cheer somebody on/up"Meaning of "blow up"