summary; synopsis; abstract; CV; curriculum vitae
ambition
associate
resume
breakdown

"get away" vs "get off/get in"

meaning of "Underhand" | come down hard on you vs. reprimand
"get away" vs "get off/get in" #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 12, 2007 15:42 pm   "get away" vs "get off/get in"

ESL/EFL Test #235 "Phrasal Verbs and Traveling", question 2

Sue is stressed out lately. I think she needs to ......... for awhile. I suggested a cruise in the Bahamas.

(a) get away
(b) go off
(c) get in
(d) get over

ESL/EFL Test #235 "Phrasal Verbs and Traveling", answer 2

Sue is stressed out lately. I think she needs to get away for awhile. I suggested a cruise in the Bahamas.

Correct answer: (a) get away
_________________________

i'm not sure about a or b alternatives

Foka
Foka

"get away" vs "get off/get in" #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 12, 2007 17:09 pm   "get away" vs "get off/get in"

Hi Foka

The correct answer is a) get away.

"Get off" has a somewhat similar meaning (to begin a journey; leave) to "get away", but "get off" only refers to the point in time when the leaving takes place or the journey begins.

In the test sentence "get away" means that Sue needs to be away from the stress of her everyday life for a period of time.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis?Why does the idiom 'no time to lose' not mean to 'procrastinate'?Explanation: I really must write that lettermeaning of interfacing, insertion, intercalationWhat are the meanings of these phrasal verbs with 'get'?What is the meaning of the phrasal verb 'check in'?Is superfluous a noun?assist vs. devoteWho was Desdemona?dig vs. spadeThese words are a bit unfamiliar!meaning of loanIdiom: Made your hair stand up on end