to plan; to scheme; to send; to dispatch; to throw
project
host
suspend
oversee

meaning of "to lose one's grip"

Why said insted of told? | Overhead levelled off?
meaning of "to lose one's grip" #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 15, 2007 16:15 pm   meaning of "to lose one's grip"

ESL/EFL Test #61 "Losing It (1)", question 4

The important key to success in this business is strong management because if you lose your ........., then you're in real trouble.

(a) hold
(b) stay
(c) grab
(d) grip

ESL/EFL Test #61 "Losing It (1)", answer 4

The important key to success in this business is strong management because if you lose your grip, then you're in real trouble.

Correct answer: (d) grip

_________________________

please explain to me "to lose one's grip"

thank you
Foka
Foka

meaning of "to lose one's grip" #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 15, 2007 16:26 pm   meaning of "to lose one's grip"

This means that you lose your firm control of the situation.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "to lose one's grip" #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 23:11 pm   meaning of "to lose one's grip"

Hi Alan.
What is the difference between grip and grab, it looks they have the same meaning,haven't they?
Admira.
_________________
To be or not to be ,that is the question.
Admira

Location: UK.Bexhill on sea

meaning of "to lose one's grip" #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:19 am   meaning of "to lose one's grip"

Hi Admira,

'Grip' suggests hold firmly and 'grab' suggests take hold of quickly. Imagine that you are on the side of a cliff and you feel that you are falling. In that case you would grab a piece of rock to stop yourself falling and you would grip this piece of rock and not let go.

_________________

meaning of "to lose one's grip" #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 11, 2010 23:23 pm   meaning of "to lose one's grip"

Hi Alan.Thank you very much for your explanation.
Admira.
_________________
Admira

Location: UK.Bexhill on sea

Meaning of "Time consuming"What does the "staffing efforts" mean?Why is it called as cellular telephone?Difference between 'I'll see if I can help' and 'I'll look if I can help'"Me either" usagenatural rights, moral rightsWhat does 'put off' mean?What is 'clear title'?What does read him like a book mean?Meaning of "That sounds great/good"What is an old windsock?What does hooked up mean?What does morals mean?