to forgive; to absolve; to release; to discharge
remit
download
reply
install

Why does the idiom 'no time to lose' not mean to 'procrastinate'?

Explanation: I really must write that letter | 'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis?
Why does the idiom 'no time to lose' not mean to 'procrastinate'? #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:15 am   Why does the idiom 'no time to lose' not mean to 'procrastinate'?

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #20 "English Idioms and Phrases", question 7

I need everybody's help. The wedding is tomorrow and we haven't even started with the decorations yet. We have no time to lose.

(a) been procrastinating
(b) to remember what time it is
(c) extra time
(d) to start right now

ESL/EFL Test #20 "English Idioms and Phrases", answer 7

I need everybody's help. The wedding is tomorrow and we haven't even started with the decorations yet. We have to start right now.

Correct answer: (d) to start right now
_________________________

How come this sentence"no time to lose" doesn't mean someone has been procrastinating?

Samuel
Samuel

Why does the idiom 'no time to lose' not mean to 'procrastinate'? #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:21 am   Why does the idiom 'no time to lose' not mean to 'procrastinate'?

To 'procrastinate' is to delay or put something off until later. In the test story, they are in a hurry because there is a lot to do before the wedding -- they have to start right now. It is indeed possible that someone has been procrastinating, as you suggest, but we don't know that. What we need is a similar expression to 'no time to lose'.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What's the response to 'Can you expand on that?'use "be going to + verb"meaning of 'roots in the country'What's the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?phrasal verb breakIdiom "used a four letter word"meaning of "an experienced person"meaning of expression "way before"meaning of interfacing, insertion, intercalationWhat are the meanings of these phrasal verbs with 'get'?What is the meaning of the phrasal verb 'check in'?Is superfluous a noun?assist vs. devote