way; route; course; section; piece
pair
standpoint
capex
passage

'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis?

Why does the idiom 'no time to lose' not mean to 'procrastinate'? | meaning of expression "way before"
'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis? #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:09 am   'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis?

ESL/EFL Test #100 "Student Teacher Dialogue (3)", question 5

Teacher: Absolutely perfect. Now what ......... the Present Perfect Continuous?

(a) through
(b) into
(c) about
(d) concerning

ESL/EFL Test #100 "Student Teacher Dialogue (3)", answer 5

Teacher: Absolutely perfect. Now what about the Present Perfect Continuous?

Correct answer: (c) about

_________________________

'Absolutely perfect' sounds like a 'double positive' to me. Is it oral English or for emphasis?

haiaho
Haihao

Location: Japan

'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis? #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:45 am   'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis?

Hi Haihao,

Remember this is a conversation and is therefore what you say rather than what you write. It is also exaggeration because the teacher wants to praise the student for getting the answer right. So let's call it 'emphasis'.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis? #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:24 pm   'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis?

Thank you again and always, Alan. It's really clear and helpful.

haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

meaning of desertWhat's the response to 'Can you expand on that?'use "be going to + verb"meaning of 'roots in the country'What's the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?phrasal verb breakIdiom "used a four letter word"meaning of "an experienced person"Explanation: I really must write that lettermeaning of interfacing, insertion, intercalationWhat are the meanings of these phrasal verbs with 'get'?What is the meaning of the phrasal verb 'check in'?Is superfluous a noun?