maltreatment; corrupt practice; foul language
cutback
sale
abuse
inventory

meaning of expression "way before"

'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis? | meaning of "an experienced person"
meaning of expression "way before" #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 16:18 pm   meaning of expression "way before"

ESL/EFL Test #241 "Interactive worksheets (2)", question 1

The hunting dogs sensed the ......... danger way before the hunters were able to see the approaching predators.

(a) eminent
(b) imminent
(c) immanent
(d) elicit

ESL/EFL Test #241 "Interactive worksheets (2)", answer 1

The hunting dogs sensed the imminent danger way before the hunters were able to see the approaching predators.

Correct answer: (b) imminent

_________________________

"way before" I cannot find any dictionary to give the exact meaning of this expression. Could you help, please?

Ahmadov
Ahmadov.

meaning of expression "way before" #2 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 16:36 pm   meaning of expression "way before"

The word way is used informally as an adverb:
http://www.bartleby.com/61/43/W0064300.html

"Way before" means "long before" or "a long time before" in this sentence.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
way before #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 18:15 pm   way before

It's the sort of remark made say by a grandfather to a grandson:

All that happened of course way before you were born.

_________________

meaning of desertWhat's the response to 'Can you expand on that?'use "be going to + verb"meaning of 'roots in the country'What's the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?phrasal verb breakIdiom "used a four letter word"meaning of "transfer funds"Why does the idiom 'no time to lose' not mean to 'procrastinate'?Explanation: I really must write that lettermeaning of interfacing, insertion, intercalationWhat are the meanings of these phrasal verbs with 'get'?What is the meaning of the phrasal verb 'check in'?