Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to shape with skill
benefit
specify
resonate
craft
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What's the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of 'roots in the country' | What's the response to 'Can you expand on that?'
listening exercises
What's the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'? #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 17, 2007 14:41 pm   What's the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #13 "Infinitive vs. Gerund", question 4

The affect of increasing the tax on motor fuel meant that the average family was finding it difficult to run a car.

(a) affect
(b) fuel
(c) average family
(d) run

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #13 "Infinitive vs. Gerund", answer 4

The effect of increasing the tax on motor fuel meant that the average family was finding it difficult to run a car.

Correct entry: effect
The error was: (a) affect

I often mistake 2 words: "affect" and "effect". Please explain to me. Thank you very much.

Bao Huong
Bao Huong

What's the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'? #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 17, 2007 16:20 pm   What's the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?

To quote:

"To affect is to act upon a person's emotions: Adverse criticism of the book didn't affect the author."

"Usage Note: Affect and effect have no senses in common. As a verb affect is most commonly used in the sense of "to influence" (how smoking affects health). Effect means "to bring about or execute": layoffs designed to effect savings. Thus the sentence These measures may affect savings could imply that the measures may reduce savings that have already been realized, whereas These measures may effect savings implies that the measures will cause new savings to come about."
Lucien_Librarian
You can meet me at english-test.net

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What's the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'? #3 (permalink) Wed Jan 17, 2007 18:14 pm   What's the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'?

Hi Bao Huong

You might find this thread helpful: Affect vs effect

Amy

meaning of 'roots in the country' | What's the response to 'Can you expand on that?'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of "get away"what does "there's a lot more" mean?"..., can she?" vs "..., can't she?"meaning of desertWhy is "suits" not "fits"?What does 'loan' mean?use "be going to + verb"phrasal verb breakIdiom "used a four letter word"meaning of "an experienced person"meaning of "transfer funds"meaning of expression "way before"'Absolutely perfect': Is it oral English or for emphasis?