estimation; appraisal; measurement
salient
assessment
wallpaper
superior

meaning of "get away"

what does "there's a lot more" mean? | Why made instead of make?
meaning of "get away" #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:08 am   meaning of "get away"

ESL/EFL Test #234 "Phrasal Verbs used with Criminal Activity", question 2

The thieves managed to ......... with a lot of money. However, one-year later, they were apprehended and sentenced to 50 years in prison without the possibility of parole.

(a) pick up
(b) make up
(c) get away
(d) pick away

ESL/EFL Test #234 "Phrasal Verbs used with Criminal Activity", answer 2

The thieves managed to get away with a lot of money. However, one-year later, they were apprehended and sentenced to 50 years in prison without the possibility of parole.

Correct answer: (c) get away

The thieves managed to pick away with a lot of money. However, one-year later, they were apprehended and sentenced to 50 years in prison without the possibility of parole.
_________________________

hello sir/madam,

I'd like to ask you what does the word "get away" mean? (because I cann't see it in any dictionary)

Thank you very much!
hien
hien

meaning of "get away" #2 (permalink) Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:33 am   meaning of "get away"

To get away means to escape.
Pamela

Location: RF

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "get away" #3 (permalink) Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:39 am   meaning of "get away"

The full form is 'get away with' which means steal/rob and then run away with what you have stolen.

_________________

What does this idiom mean: 'out of your mind'? Does it mean 'unsure'?What does 'supreme court' mean?choose vs. choicemeaning of "threat" and "venture"What does this idiom mean: 'out on your ear'?Why capitalization is needed in run for Prime Minister or Parliament?meaning of attorneyrefund vs. replacementIdiom "on no account""..., can she?" vs "..., can't she?"meaning of desertWhy is "suits" not "fits"?What does 'loan' mean?