something created separately for the purpose of being added to or placed inside (a book, newspaper, etc.)
portfolio
insert
instructor
sink

Idiom "on no account"

Why made instead of make? | refund vs. replacement
Idiom "on no account" #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:23 am   Idiom "on no account"

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "No good", question 3

I made it absolutely clear that he could on no account expect a pay rise this year.

(a) in this way
(b) in some way
(c) in that way
(d) in no way

ESL/EFL Test #12 "No good", answer 3

I made it absolutely clear that he could in no way expect a pay rise this year.

Correct answer: (d) in no way
_________________________

when we use idioms on no account why do we change the position like on no account will i let you do such a dangerous thing?

Jetta
Jetta

Idiom "on no account" #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:42 am   Idiom "on no account"

Certain expressions at the beginning of a sentence cause inversion - the verb followed by the subject as follows:

Not only have I done this but ...
Nowhere can I see any problems ...
Never will they agree to that plan..
In no way can you expect help ..

As you can see, all these examples refer to negative adverbs or adverbial phrases.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'to confuse the issue' mean?What does 'to make an issue' mean?What does this idiom mean: 'out of your mind'? Does it mean 'unsure'?What does 'supreme court' mean?choose vs. choicemeaning of "threat" and "venture"What does this idiom mean: 'out on your ear'?Why capitalization is needed in run for Prime Minister or Parliament?meaning of attorneymeaning of "get away"what does "there's a lot more" mean?"..., can she?" vs "..., can't she?"meaning of desert