Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

pertaining to the world and nature around us
environmental
delicious
immediate
incorrect
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'assignmet' mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between signify and mean | Phrasal verb: 'put away'
listening exercises
What does 'assignmet' mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:58 am   What does 'assignmet' mean?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #100 "Interrogative pronouns", question 6

......... has completed the assignment?

(a) Who's
(b) Who
(c) Whom
(d) Which

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #100 "Interrogative pronouns", answer 6

Who has completed the assignment?

Correct answer: (b) Who

dear alan, what is assignment? thanks.

nona m.
nona m.

What does 'assignmet' mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:20 am   What does 'assignmet' mean?

Hi,

An assigment is a task/job/duty that you have been asked to complete. It is often used for a written piece work that students have to complete and send to their tutor/teacher by a certain date.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'assignmet' mean? #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:09 am   What does 'assignmet' mean?

why can't we use who's instead of who? Can you explain please?
Abdullahteke

What does 'assignmet' mean? #4 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 am   What does 'assignmet' mean?

Hi abdullahteke

Who's can be a contraction of either who is or who has.

test question 6 wrote:
......... has completed the assignment?

The test question already contains the word has, so only option (b) is possible.

If the word has were not already in the test sentence, then you could use who's:

"Who's completed the assignment?"

What does 'assignmet' mean? #5 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 am   What does 'assignmet' mean?

(double post deleted)

What does 'assignmet' mean? #6 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am   What does 'assignmet' mean?

(Who's?) is the short form of (who is....? or who has ......?), So using it refers to the singular which means the third person (He & She). But if we want to ask about persons in general using just one word we use (who?) whithout referring to the singular or the plural.
How do you feel about that?

Nola

What does 'assignmet' mean? #7 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 am   What does 'assignmet' mean?

Hi Nola

In this particular case, the only reason that you cannot use who's is that the word has is already in the sentence.
In other words, you cannot say "Who's has".

What does 'assignmet' mean? #8 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:20 am   What does 'assignmet' mean?

Hi Amy
But, can we use just the word (who?) without completing the question in our speaking? (when we don't want to refer to the singular or the plural)

Nola

What does 'assignmet' mean? #9 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:55 am   What does 'assignmet' mean?

Hi Nola

Yes, if the other person already knows what you're talking about, you can do that. You can also ask "Who?" in order to clarify. For example:

A: You'll never guess who she's dating now.
B: Who?
A: John.
B: Who? Who's John?
A: Her boss!

What does 'assignmet' mean? #10 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:37 pm   What does 'assignmet' mean?

Thank you very much. I couldn't see the 'has'? Now i can see :D
Abdullahteke

Difference between signify and mean | Phrasal verb: 'put away'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Fair vs. fare?The sea was very calm?adapt vs accommodatethrown in prision vs. thrown in the prisonWhat does 'get hold of' mean?What is the meaning of forsaken?"...that made him...", isn't it?I thought since 'idle mind is the devil's workshop', idle thoughts would be...What does 'decorating the mahagony' mean?What does migrate mean?Usage of the phrasal verb "count on"It is a good idea + to infinitiveExpression: "We haven't got any left"