necessary; needed; fundamental; crucial; very important
visible
unfair
essential
enough

meaning of "individual federal taxes"

What is the difference between 'I wish' and 'I'm wishing'? | Good answer for question "What are your plans?"
meaning of "individual federal taxes" #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 03, 2007 16:11 pm   meaning of "individual federal taxes"

ESL/EFL Test #267 "Business buzzwords: Jack Be Nimble", question 9

Despite the many changes in the tax system, there has been relatively little change in its role as an ......... stabilizer: we estimate that individual federal taxes offset perhaps as much as 8 percent of initial shocks to GDP.

(a) autocratic
(b) automatic
(c) automotive
(d) autonomic

ESL/EFL Test #267 "Business buzzwords: Jack Be Nimble", answer 9

Despite the many changes in the tax system, there has been relatively little change in its role as an automatic stabilizer: we estimate that individual federal taxes offset perhaps as much as 8 percent of initial shocks to GDP.

Correct answer: (b) automatic

_________________________

I got two questions here.
1) What's the exact meaning of "individual federal taxes"? You mean those people who made money from stock markets must pay the federal taxes?
2) How to understand "initial shocks" to GDP?
I wonder if it tells that the individual federal tax rates are still very high,thanks a lot!
FangFang

meaning of "individual federal taxes" #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 04, 2007 0:54 am   meaning of "individual federal taxes"

.
Morning, FF.

1-- 'individual federal taxes' = personal income taxes
2-- I think 'initial shocks' just means radical changes from period to period. The idea is that the income tax system is a buffer against big shifts in GDP. (Sorry, I seldom read the entire texts that I extract these questions from.)
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of antiqueWhat is the "M4" and what does "the downs" mean?meaning of pace and straymeaning of embarrassedmeaning of globalDiffrence between object and subject in this sentence?What does "breaking up" mean?What is the difference between 'angry with' and 'angry to'?Can flowers feel good when they smell good?Can I return it, if I have the receipt?"As you probably know" vs. "As you certainly know"meaning of "stranded crew"meaning of 'shared power'