chance occurrence; unforeseen event
brake
taste
shipyard
coincidence

What does this phrasal verb mean: 'to take over'? Is it an idiom?

Expression: You are quick to act, to seize an opportunity | Ours has sprung a leak
What does this phrasal verb mean: 'to take over'? Is it an idiom? #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 12, 2004 15:03 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: 'to take over'? Is it an idiom?

Test No. incompl/inter-5 "do/make/get/take", question 9

We mustn't be late this morning because today is when the new boss is going to ......... over.

(a) do
(b) get
(c) make
(d) take

Test No. incompl/inter-5 "do/make/get/take", answer 9

We mustn't be late this morning because today is when the new boss is going to take over.

Correct answer: (d) take

We mustn't be late this morning because today is when the new boss is going to get over.
_________________________

I dont understand why we use "to take over" for this sentence. please explain.
dzungqn

Take over #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 12, 2004 15:16 pm   Take over

In this sentence to take over means to start a job, assuming a responsibility, being responsible.
Two employees are talking about the fact that tomorrow the next day their new boss is starting his job and that's why they must make sure they arrive on time.

TOEIC short conversations: Booking a hotel room

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does this phrasal verb mean: 'to take over'? Is it an idiom? #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 28, 2010 21:30 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: 'to take over'? Is it an idiom?

There is a song called "When love takes over"
Aesmeraldad

What does this phrasal verb mean: 'to take over'? Is it an idiom? #4 (permalink) Mon Nov 01, 2010 13:33 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean: 'to take over'? Is it an idiom?

Aesmeraldad wrote:

''A'' takes over moment the board took ''B'' off.

But how comes ''love takes over''?!!!! .... The expression looks nice. I like it.
Puppet

Get lost!early retirementbring out in peoplethe world is slowly becoming hotterDo come infine words butter no parsnipsthe succeeding yearsbring up the elephant in the room?Sam and Jennifer's parents?to swim vs. swimminguse of 'that'Certain lanes are often designated for customers?He used to drink?