Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

excellent; having superior characteristics; fine
quality
second
recognizable
surface
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Knowledge of US law?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of deportation | meaning of pikestaff
listening exercises
Knowledge of US law? #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 09, 2007 16:15 pm   Knowledge of US law?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #259 "US Government Questions Test (7)", question 10

Every American citizen, over the age of ........., has the right to vote via prior amendments in the US Constitution.

(a) 16
(b) 18
(c) 21

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #259 "US Government Questions Test (7)", answer 10

Every American citizen, over the age of 18, has the right to vote via prior amendments in the US Constitution.

Correct answer: (b) 18

Your answer was: correct

I know it is not an easy task to design tests, but this one has stricken me. I think this needs to be removed asap...

Knowledge of US law? #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 09, 2007 18:29 pm   Knowledge of US law?

That's a good point, Ahmadov. As it stands, this question does not focus on knowledge of the English language but rather knowledge of US law.

Just for the record, I believe it is only the 26th Amendment to the US Constitution that specifically mentions age and the right to vote. ("The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.")

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Knowledge of US law? #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 09, 2007 19:28 pm   Knowledge of US law?

Hi Zahir,

Why do you think this test should be removed? What good is theoretical knowledge of English grammar if you don't know anything about life in countries like the US or the UK?

TOEIC listening, question-response: You couldn't finish the report by tomorrow, could you?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Right to vote #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 09, 2007 19:56 pm   Right to vote

Hello,
Yes, I think this question focuses less on English and more on knowledge of the system. Good point and it will be changed very soon.
Thanks,
Linda
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Right to vote #5 (permalink) Fri Feb 09, 2007 20:00 pm   Right to vote

Hi Torsten,
I didn't see your comment. I do agree with you but a moderator has made several points about it so I thought it would be best to change it and not cause any more confusion.
When I tried to learn a new language, the history, laws and customs of the people really helped me learn more of the language and its usage in every day life. I agree with you but I don't like to cause confusion so let me know what you think about the question.
Thanks for the input.
Linda
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Knowledge of US law? #6 (permalink) Fri Feb 09, 2007 20:10 pm   Knowledge of US law?

Hi

I'd suggest possibly blanking out some other part of a sentence such as this so that the test focuses more directly on language. The subject matter would still be there, but the question itself would test language.

Knowledge of US law? #7 (permalink) Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:33 am   Knowledge of US law?

Hi Torsten,

I agree with Yankee if you want to keep helping users know more about the laws of the USA or UK.
I know that this web site has an audience with diverse background, including education in law, but I think the average user would like to read more about the traditions, people and social life of the mentioned countries, rather than law, which is more specific than those I am offering.
Please, let me know what you think about this suggestion. You always have good ideas which I use outside this web site :)

Good luck

PS: I was happy that I found the correct answer for the test in question because the age limit is the same in my country, Azerbaijan.

Knowledge of US law? #8 (permalink) Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:47 am   Knowledge of US law?

Hi Zahi,

I think Amy's suggestion is very sound. If we leave the question as it is but blank out another part (instead of the age), we can kill two birds with one stone. The idea is to create tests that focus on language aspects while containing useful factual information.

TOEIC listening, question-response: How many types of products does your firm make?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Knowledge of US law? #9 (permalink) Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:50 am   Knowledge of US law?

Great, so there is no difference in opionion.
Torsten wrote:
we can kill two birds with one stone.

How sweet this idiom is! We also say the same, but with "bullet" not "stone" :)

meaning of deportation | meaning of pikestaff
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of "we've"'kids in my family' vs. 'kids at my family'What does 'it' mean in this sentence?How do we use 'whose'?meaning of 'walk off with'What does 'still alive' mean?Can I change the pronouns here?meaning of "stick her neck out"startling vs. stunningmeaning of antiqueWhat is the "M4" and what does "the downs" mean?meaning of pace and straymeaning of embarrassed