Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to direct along a particular path; to chart a course
route
crowd
chain
plan
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Had to buy vs. could have bought

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
on walk-ins and reach-ins??? | What is a recliner?
listening exercises
Had to buy vs. could have bought #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 14, 2004 13:46 pm   Had to buy vs. could have bought

Test No. incompl/elem-7 "Modals", question 2

I could ......... bought that car but I didn't have enough money to pay for the petrol.

(a) had
(b) have
(c) have to

Test No. incompl/elem-7 "Modals", answer 2

I could have bought that car but I didn't have enough money to pay for the petrol.

Correct answer: (b) have

Your answer was: incorrect
I could have to bought that car but I didn't have enough money to pay for the petrol.

Hello! I was very glad to find such a cool site. It really helps me to improve my English.
But, can you explain why could have without to?
Thank you
Kristina

Had to buy vs. could have bought #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 14, 2004 14:37 pm   Had to buy vs. could have bought

Hi Kristina,

Please take a look at these examples:

I had to buy that car.
(My wife made me buy that car so I bought it.) =
Simple Past (had to + base verb)

I could have bought that car.
(I had the chance to buy that car but I couldn't buy it because I didn't have enough money.) =

Conditional III (could have + past participle).

TOEIC short conversations: A woman sends a package via express mail
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Had to buy vs. could have bought #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 14, 2004 16:00 pm   Had to buy vs. could have bought

Thank you, Torsten.
Kristina

Had to buy vs. could have bought #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:54 am   Had to buy vs. could have bought

Dear, Torsten

Thank you for sending me Lesson 6.I found answer for my question in this forum.

B.Unur
Unur

Had to buy vs. could have bought #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:54 am   Had to buy vs. could have bought

That's great to hear, B. Unur.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Busy digging
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Had to buy vs. could have bought #6 (permalink) Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:08 am   Had to buy vs. could have bought

hi Torsten
I have answered 9 questions out of 10 correctly.
i stiil understand about qusetion no 7
please explain me when we use term of : Conditional III (could have + past participle).

thanks
Yoki
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Had to buy vs. could have bought #7 (permalink) Fri Nov 21, 2008 15:31 pm   Had to buy vs. could have bought

Thank you for your lesson.
Luke
Luke_Student

Had to buy vs. could have bought #8 (permalink) Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:07 am   Had to buy vs. could have bought

can any one explain for me why we use have instead of had?

thanks
Nour25
You can meet me at english-test.net

Had to buy vs. could have bought #9 (permalink) Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:09 am   Had to buy vs. could have bought

I could have bought that car but I didn't have enough money to pay for the petrol.

your sentence:
I could had bought that car but I didn't have enough money to pay for the petrol.

Can any one explain for me why we use have instead of had?

thanks
Nour25

Had to buy vs. could have bought #10 (permalink) Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:45 am   Had to buy vs. could have bought

The second sentence you wrote is written in Past Perfect, and it's true too, I think. But it was not one of the possibilities here.

You had to fill the blank. And the blank is in the first part of the sentence.
I could ....... bought that car but I didn't have enough money to pay for the petrol.
You can see that Present Perfect is used in the second part of the sentence so you have to use the same tense in the first part too.

I hope I'm right - if not somebody should tell me.
Sumade

Had to buy vs. could have bought #11 (permalink) Mon May 25, 2009 20:45 pm   Had to buy vs. could have bought

Hi Torsten,
Thanks' for the lesson 6. Even though I got all answers correct conditionals are still kind of a mystery to me. I should practice more on it.
Saule
I'm here quite often ;-)

Had to buy vs. could have bought #12 (permalink) Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:31 pm   Had to buy vs. could have bought

Hi Torsten,
Thanks for this lesson . I've got 9 out of 10 it was easy one ...
*danish70

Had to buy vs. could have bought #13 (permalink) Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:28 am   Had to buy vs. could have bought

Thank you , but I click "have to" I do not know when I use "to".
regards
ARI.
Arigirl

Had to buy vs. could have bought #14 (permalink) Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:20 am   Had to buy vs. could have bought

correct sentence:

your sentence:
I could had bought that car but I didn't have enough money to pay for the petrol.
My question is the same as the question posed above.
Why HAD is wrong?
Lyubomir

Had to buy vs. could have bought #15 (permalink) Sat Jan 09, 2010 17:15 pm   Had to buy vs. could have bought

hi
can any one explane for me that ,the use of ,
must have to and must had to,
Muhammad Aslam

on walk-ins and reach-ins??? | What is a recliner?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Latest topics on English Forums
File up an application forcurb appealproof reading on Weather. Pls check. Thanksmeaning of The final fraction is ‘fines’ – nameless dust.now they vs. they noweveryday vs every daylike to watch vs. like watchingHow long does the title search take?What does the expression "find the way out" mean?looking up information"expand on" versus "spread out"'surprised at how many' instead of 'surprised how many'Please explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"