criterion; measure; point of reference for comparison
benchmark
mayor
diversity
predisposition

What's the difference between 'out of hand' and 'out of order'?

diffrence between 'deal with' and 'tacke with' | What does it mean if you say 'It rains like cats and dogs'?
What's the difference between 'out of hand' and 'out of order'? #1 (permalink) Sun Mar 04, 2007 17:39 pm   What's the difference between 'out of hand' and 'out of order'?

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Idioms with Hand", question 1

We need to do something about it! This situation is getting out of hand!

(a) too big
(b) too organized
(c) out of control
(d) out of order

ESL/EFL Test #19 "Idioms with Hand", answer 1

We need to do something about it! This situation is getting out of control!

Correct answer: (c) out of control
_________________________

Why can't we use 'out of order'?
Oksana

What's the difference between 'out of hand' and 'out of order'? #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 04, 2007 18:25 pm   What's the difference between 'out of hand' and 'out of order'?

Welcome as a new member, Oksana, and thanks for your picture!

The phrase 'out of order' is normally used in the sense of 'broken' or 'not working (properly)', when speaking of machines.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
How do you put this information in a T account?meaning of creekWhy is here the answer "wouldn't"?always vs neverWhy "get down to" and not "get through with"?meaning of "cast toes"meaning of "doomed from my side"Cockpit area of an airplanemeaning of bulwarkpublic policy vs. public pollsmeaning of casketjump in the lake vs. jump in the fieldHow are compound words used?