slope; grade; slant
coin
consumption
gymnasium
incline

Cockpit area of an airplane

What does it mean if you say 'It rains like cats and dogs'? | a birthday vs. the birthday
Cockpit area of an airplane #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:29 am   Cockpit area of an airplane

ESL/EFL Test #230 "Airport Terminology (1)", question 5

Pilots and co-pilots usually sit and control the ......... area of an airplane.

(a) window
(b) nose
(c) cockpit
(d) back

ESL/EFL Test #230 "Airport Terminology (1)", answer 5

Pilots and co-pilots usually sit and control the cockpit area of an airplane.

Correct answer: (c) cockpit

_________________________

I think the pilot and co-pilot usually sit IN the cockpit and control the AIRPLANE from there.
jesa

Cockpit #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:13 am   Cockpit

You're right that the pilot and co-pilot sit in and control the plane from that area but they don't do it standing up. I think in this question, the meaning is they that they sit and control the cockpit 'area' of the plane. They are the only ones who can control this area, thankfully, so there is no need to explain that they control the entire plane in or from this area. If they control the area, and noone else does, then it's not necessary to state that.
I hope this helps.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Cockpit area of an airplane #3 (permalink) Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:14 am   Cockpit area of an airplane

Sorry, that's a typo. In the second line, it should read 'the meaning is that they sit and control ....."
_________________

What does 'prowl' mean?meaning of relyHow do you put this information in a T account?meaning of creekWhy is here the answer "wouldn't"?always vs neverWhy "get down to" and not "get through with"?meaning of "cast toes"meaning of "doomed from my side"What's the difference between 'out of hand' and 'out of order'?meaning of bulwarkdiffrence between 'deal with' and 'tacke with'public policy vs. public polls