aim; purpose, goal
path
coincidence
objective
chop

Why "get down to" and not "get through with"?

always vs never | Why is here the answer "wouldn't"?
Why "get down to" and not "get through with"? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 07, 2007 17:37 pm   Why "get down to" and not "get through with"?

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Idioms with the phrasal verb get", question 1

After the small talk was over, it was time for the two heads of state to ......... discussions concerning bilateral relations between the two countries.

(a) get through with
(b) get by with
(c) get down to
(d) get around

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Idioms with the phrasal verb get", answer 1

After the small talk was over, it was time for the two heads of state to get down to discussions concerning bilateral relations between the two countries.

Correct answer: (c) get down to

After the small talk was over, it was time for the two heads of state to get through with discussions concerning bilateral relations between the two countries.
_________________________

Asia
Asia

Why "get down to" and not "get through with"? #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2007 13:56 pm   Why "get down to" and not "get through with"?

.
Get down to = begin. Get through with = finish. Small talk is how we begin a meeting, so that in this sentence, the serious discussions had not yet begun.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
difference between slaughter and massarcedWhat does "welfare" mean?What does 'prowl' mean?meaning of relyHow do you put this information in a T account?meaning of creekwas "he" missed there?meaning of "cast toes"meaning of "doomed from my side"Cockpit area of an airplaneWhat's the difference between 'out of hand' and 'out of order'?meaning of bulwarkdiffrence between 'deal with' and 'tacke with'