series of activities organized to accomplish a goal
attachment
sight
concern
campaign

Why is here the answer "wouldn't"?

Why "get down to" and not "get through with"? | meaning of creek
Why is here the answer "wouldn't"? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 07, 2007 22:46 pm   Why is here the answer "wouldn't"?

ESL/EFL Test #120 "Conditional Tenses", question 6

If he hadn't been driving so fast, he ......... have hit the motorcyclist.

(a) didn't
(b) hadn't
(c) wouldn't
(d) hasn't

ESL/EFL Test #120 "Conditional Tenses", answer 6

If he hadn't been driving so fast, he wouldn't have hit the motorcyclist.

Correct answer: (c) wouldn't
_________________________

I need the answer next to the quetion please.
And why is here the answer "wouldn't" but not "hasn't"?

Semeo
Semeo

Why is here the answer "wouldn't"? #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2007 0:08 am   Why is here the answer "wouldn't"?

When you finish the test and click on "Check your score", you can find the correct answer in the sentence and also under the sentence.

For this sentence the correct answer is: (c) wouldn't.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Why is here the answer "wouldn't"? #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2007 15:13 pm   Why is here the answer "wouldn't"?

Hi Semeo

I see that a second question, a title and your name have been added since you first posted.

The word hasn't does not work for a couple of reasons.
First of all, it is never grammatically correct to say "hasn't have hit".
Secondly, this sentence is what is often called a 'type three if-sentence'. In such a sentence, you will typically find either the past perfect or the past perfect continuous in the if clause. The test sentence contains the past perfect continuous:
"If he hadn't been driving so fast, ..."

The other half of such a sentence typically contains would + have + past participle. This is what you need in the second half of the test sentence:

"... he wouldn't have hit the motorcyclist."

_________________

difference between slaughter and massarcedWhat does "welfare" mean?What does 'prowl' mean?meaning of relyHow do you put this information in a T account?was "he" missed there?always vs nevermeaning of "cast toes"meaning of "doomed from my side"Cockpit area of an airplaneWhat's the difference between 'out of hand' and 'out of order'?diffrence between 'deal with' and 'tacke with'public policy vs. public polls