Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

series of activities organized to accomplish a goal
attachment
sight
concern
campaign
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why is here the answer "wouldn't"?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Why "get down to" and not "get through with"? | meaning of creek
listening exercises
Why is here the answer "wouldn't"? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 07, 2007 22:46 pm   Why is here the answer "wouldn't"?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #120 "Conditional Tenses", question 6

If he hadn't been driving so fast, he ......... have hit the motorcyclist.

(a) didn't
(b) hadn't
(c) wouldn't
(d) hasn't

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #120 "Conditional Tenses", answer 6

If he hadn't been driving so fast, he wouldn't have hit the motorcyclist.

Correct answer: (c) wouldn't

I need the answer next to the quetion please.
And why is here the answer "wouldn't" but not "hasn't"?

Semeo
Semeo

Why is here the answer "wouldn't"? #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2007 0:08 am   Why is here the answer "wouldn't"?

When you finish the test and click on "Check your score", you can find the correct answer in the sentence and also under the sentence.

For this sentence the correct answer is: (c) wouldn't.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Why is here the answer "wouldn't"? #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2007 15:13 pm   Why is here the answer "wouldn't"?

Hi Semeo

I see that a second question, a title and your name have been added since you first posted.

Quote:
And why is here the answer "wouldn't" but not "hasn't"?

The word hasn't does not work for a couple of reasons.
First of all, it is never grammatically correct to say "hasn't have hit".
Secondly, this sentence is what is often called a 'type three if-sentence'. In such a sentence, you will typically find either the past perfect or the past perfect continuous in the if clause. The test sentence contains the past perfect continuous:
"If he hadn't been driving so fast, ..."

The other half of such a sentence typically contains would + have + past participle. This is what you need in the second half of the test sentence:

"... he wouldn't have hit the motorcyclist."

Amy

Why "get down to" and not "get through with"? | meaning of creek
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
difference between slaughter and massarcedWhat does "welfare" mean?What does 'prowl' mean?meaning of relyHow do you put this information in a T account?was "he" missed there?always vs nevermeaning of "cast toes"meaning of "doomed from my side"Cockpit area of an airplaneWhat's the difference between 'out of hand' and 'out of order'?diffrence between 'deal with' and 'tacke with'public policy vs. public polls