Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

at fixed intervals; at evenly-spaced intervals; usually; customarily
regularly
systematically
opposite
easy
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

was "he" missed there?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does "welfare" mean? | difference between slaughter and massarced
listening exercises
was "he" missed there? #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:14 pm   was "he" missed there?

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #16 "Expressions with Top", question 2

When the accident happened all he could think about was attracting attention and started calling out at the top of his voice.

(a) as quickly as possible
(b) as freely as possible
(c) as clearly as possible
(d) as loudly as possible

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #16 "Expressions with Top", answer 2

When the accident happened all he could think about was attracting attention and started calling out as loudly as possible.

Correct answer: (d) as loudly as possible

Your answer was: correct

was "he" missed there?
(When the accident happened all he could think about was attracting attention and HE started calling out as loudly as possible)

Leonidi
Leonidi

was "he" missed there? #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:25 am   was "he" missed there?

After waiting in vain for someone else to have a go at your question (I'm not the test author, after all), I'll give you my take on it, for what it's worth.

Like you, I would also insert the pronoun 'he' at the beginning of the last clause.
Conchita
Language Coach

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
was "he" missed there? #3 (permalink) Sun Mar 11, 2007 13:08 pm   was "he" missed there?

I'm not either, so I didn't.

was "he" missed there? #4 (permalink) Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:24 am   was "he" missed there?

Quote:
When the accident happened all he could think about was attracting attention and started calling out at the top of his voice.

When I read out this sentence I feel a brief natural pause after "accident"--so I would put a comma there if I wrote this sentence.

...but, I may be altogether wrong... :shock:

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

was "he" missed there? #5 (permalink) Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:59 am   was "he" missed there?

Tom wrote:

As it turns out, your doubts are justified, Tom, since the comma would go after 'happened' -- and that's probably what you meant.
Conchita
Language Coach

was "he" missed there? #6 (permalink) Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 am   was "he" missed there?

Conchita wrote:
Tom wrote:

As it turns out, your doubts are justified, Tom, since the comma would go after 'happened' -- and that's probably what you meant.

Mea culpa, Conchita!!!

Yes, I meant "happened".

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does "welfare" mean? | difference between slaughter and massarced
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of cotmeaning of disbursetransform vs changemeaning of tacksmeaning of "stick up"competed vs. originatedWhat does rote and rot mean?What does 'prowl' mean?meaning of relyHow do you put this information in a T account?meaning of creekWhy is here the answer "wouldn't"?always vs never