Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

part of a television or computer monitor where the picture is displayed
screen
consignment
sweater
moral
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

fair judgement vs. fair trial

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of expression "under the weather" | Meaning of arrogant
listening exercises
fair judgement vs. fair trial #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:32 am   fair judgement vs. fair trial

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #3 "The audience went wild", question 6

In a democratic country it is absolutely essential that anyone who is suspected of having committed a crime should be given a fair process.

(a) essential
(b) suspected
(c) committed
(d) process

ESL/EFL Test #3 "The audience went wild", answer 6

In a democratic country it is absolutely essential that anyone who is suspected of having committed a crime should be given a fair trial.

Correct entry: trial
The error was: (d) process

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
In a democratic country it is absolutely essential that anyone who is suspected of having committed a crime should be given a fair judgement.

why not judgement?

thanks
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

fair judgement vs. fair trial #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 10, 2007 15:40 pm   fair judgement vs. fair trial

Judgements are not necessarily fair-- they can be harsh or lenient-- but the trial that precedes the judgment should be fair.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
fair judgement vs. fair trial #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:05 am   fair judgement vs. fair trial

lost_soul wrote:

ESL/EFL Test #3 "The audience went wild", question 6

In a democratic country it is absolutely essential that anyone who is suspected of having committed a crime should be given a fair process.

(a) essential
(b) suspected
(c) committed
(d) process

ESL/EFL Test #3 "The audience went wild", answer 6

In a democratic country it is absolutely essential that anyone who is suspected of having committed a crime should be given a fair trial.

Correct entry: trial
The error was: (d) process

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
In a democratic country it is absolutely essential that anyone who is suspected of having committed a crime should be given a fair judgement.

why not judgement?

thanks

can i use punishment? since the i think they deserve it.
Nerd
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

fair judgement vs. fair trial #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:25 am   fair judgement vs. fair trial

Absolutely not, nerd! The person in the question is only a suspect. The trial precedes the verdict (except for the Knave of Hearts, of course).

fair judgement vs. fair trial #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:59 am   fair judgement vs. fair trial

Hi, MM

But from grammatical point of view, is the sentence In a democratic country it is absolutely essential that anyone who is suspected of having committed a crime should be given a fair punishment right?

Thanks!
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

fair judgement vs. fair trial #6 (permalink) Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:26 am   fair judgement vs. fair trial

There is no point in commenting on the grammaticality of a sentence which is semantically meaningless, Alex. Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

fair judgement vs. fair trial #7 (permalink) Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:43 pm   fair judgement vs. fair trial

Furiously sleep ideas green colorless. :lol:

Hi Alex

If you what you actually wanted to know was whether it is generally possible to say 'a punishment', the answer is yes. The word punishment has both countable and uncountable usages.

fair judgement vs. fair trial #8 (permalink) Fri Mar 07, 2008 15:32 pm   fair judgement vs. fair trial

Ah, great minds think alike:

Amy wrote:
In the case of (2.), that is not a good way to learn a language or the "rules" of a language. Language is more than rules. Language has to mean something. It is not hard to write perfectly grammatical sentences which mean absolutely nothing at all. A well-known example (from linguist N. Chomsky) is:

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."

This sentence means absolutely nothing although it follows all grammar rules .)
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

fair judgement vs. fair trial #9 (permalink) Fri Mar 07, 2008 16:51 pm   fair judgement vs. fair trial

Your ability to remember old posts is astounding, Tom. :shock: :D

fair judgement vs. fair trial #10 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 am   fair judgement vs. fair trial

I used lawsuit and it was wrong, but isn't that a perfect synonym for trial?
Amandahamburg

fair judgement vs. fair trial #11 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:06 am   fair judgement vs. fair trial

You can give someone a fair trial (if you are a judge or jury), but you cannot give someone a lawsuit. The lawsuit is filed by the person in order to have a trial.

Meaning of expression "under the weather" | Meaning of arrogant
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
skip it-omit it?remove desire, ill will and ignoranceWhat does 'vicious' mean?Meaning of "To make headway"How to use prepositions of time?What does "butter up" mean?What does write up mean?It is correct "... you must wear ..."?"Work out" vs "Work on"Use 'just': for exemple: Just him and me?I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?At midnight VERSUS on midnightIdiom: 'to be a such a chicken'