to put a sum of money in a bank for safekeeping; to pay in part; to set down
deposit
receive
download
conclude

meaning of modest

meaning of command | meaning of "division of labor"
meaning of modest #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:28 am   meaning of modest

ESL/EFL Test #294 "Economics Questions test (2)", question 8

In a ......... economy, individuals and businesses own and make most of the decisions about resources. In this type of economy, the people own and control most of the production processes.

(a) modest
(b) market
(c) command

ESL/EFL Test #294 "Economics Questions test (2)", answer 8

In a market economy, individuals and businesses own and make most of the decisions about resources. In this type of economy, the people own and control most of the production processes.

Correct answer: (b) market
_________________________

what is modest?

Kerbeth
Kerbeth

meaning of modest #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:54 am   meaning of modest

If you are modest, you don't talk about how clever/strong/handsome, etc., you are. Modest is the opposite of boasting or boastful.

Modest also has the sense of 'not demanding/not excessive' -- you can make a modest proposal or have a modest income, for instance. A modest flat or car, to give a further example, is one that doesn't look expensive.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What does this mean: 'double income no kids'?When do we use 'during' and when 'for'?Do these actions co-occur?What is a "white elephant"?Why can't I use that instead of which?meaning of spaydifference between show sth and unveil sthmanage vs. handleNine (not eight) justices on the Supreme Court of the United Statesmeaning of "in soap making processes"meaning of "playing devil's advocate"defining vs. definiteWhen we use to convert and when to transform?