shop; place where merchandise is sold; supply of goods or materials set aside for future use
offender
store
cause
viewpoint

briefing vs. clearing

What does proposed mean? | Started ranged
briefing vs. clearing #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:05 am   briefing vs. clearing

ESL/EFL Test #37 "A Public Figure", question 6

His agent spent a lot of time ......... the press on his background in the hope that they would present a balanced view.

(a) training
(b) briefing
(c) showing
(d) clearing

ESL/EFL Test #37 "A Public Figure", answer 6

His agent spent a lot of time briefing the press on his background in the hope that they would present a balanced view.

Correct answer: (b) briefing
_________________________

CLEARING?

Honda
Honda

briefing vs. clearing #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 20, 2007 17:35 pm   briefing vs. clearing

Hi Honda

If you brief members of the press on or about something, you provide information about a particular topic to them.

If you clear members of the press, that might mean, for example, that you give your OK that members of the press are present. Or a judge might clear members of the press of a crime (i.e. the judge pronounces them innocent).

You cannot clear someone on a topic and that's why the word clearing does not fit the test sentence.

I hope that answers your question.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
briefing vs. clearing #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 10, 2013 14:26 pm   briefing vs. clearing

brief (v)

1 to give somebody information about something so that they are prepared to deal with it
brief somebody: I expect to be kept fully briefed at all times.

brief somebody on/about something
-The officer briefed her on what to expect. -this is the equivalent of our test.

2 brief somebody (to do something) (British English, law) to give a lawyer, especially a barrister, the main facts of a legal case so that it can be argued in court
_________________

teaching your wife to drive?Meaning of 'Once this disclosure is highlighted'Survive = continue to liveWhat does reading public mean?Introduce vs. enterHigh profile and high dramaMeaning of 'overrun'Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'Meaning of 'come into force'What is the difference between goal and aim?Conditional IIIWhat does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'?She looks like a star?