Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

shop; place where merchandise is sold; supply of goods or materials set aside for future use
offender
store
cause
viewpoint
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

briefing vs. clearing

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does proposed mean? | Started ranged
listening exercises
briefing vs. clearing #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:05 am   briefing vs. clearing

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #37 "A Public Figure", question 6

His agent spent a lot of time ......... the press on his background in the hope that they would present a balanced view.

(a) training
(b) briefing
(c) showing
(d) clearing

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #37 "A Public Figure", answer 6

His agent spent a lot of time briefing the press on his background in the hope that they would present a balanced view.

Correct answer: (b) briefing

CLEARING?

Honda
Honda

briefing vs. clearing #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 20, 2007 17:35 pm   briefing vs. clearing

Hi Honda

If you brief members of the press on or about something, you provide information about a particular topic to them.

If you clear members of the press, that might mean, for example, that you give your OK that members of the press are present. Or a judge might clear members of the press of a crime (i.e. the judge pronounces them innocent).

You cannot clear someone on a topic and that's why the word clearing does not fit the test sentence.

I hope that answers your question.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
briefing vs. clearing #3 (permalink) Sat Aug 10, 2013 14:26 pm   briefing vs. clearing

brief (v)

1 to give somebody information about something so that they are prepared to deal with it
brief somebody: I expect to be kept fully briefed at all times.

brief somebody on/about something
-The officer briefed her on what to expect. -this is the equivalent of our test.

2 brief somebody (to do something) (British English, law) to give a lawyer, especially a barrister, the main facts of a legal case so that it can be argued in court

What does proposed mean? | Started ranged
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
teaching your wife to drive?Meaning of 'Once this disclosure is highlighted'Survive = continue to liveWhat does reading public mean?Introduce vs. enterHigh profile and high dramaMeaning of 'overrun'Meaning of 'would-be house buyer'Meaning of 'come into force'What is the difference between goal and aim?Conditional IIIWhat does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'?She looks like a star?