Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to surround
circle
range
abolish
enlarge
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What's the difference between actually and certainly?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What's the meaning of the word "oar"? | Reference vs. background?
listening exercises
What's the difference between actually and certainly? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:59 am   What's the difference between actually and certainly?

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #136 "How to make exclamations", question 9

You could have knocked me down with a feather! You mean to say he's ......... cleaned my car.

(a) certainly
(b) surely
(c) naturally
(d) actually

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #136 "How to make exclamations", answer 9

You could have knocked me down with a feather! You mean to say he's actually cleaned my car.

Correct answer: (d) actually

Your answer was: incorrect
You could have knocked me down with a feather! You mean to say he's certainly cleaned my car.

Why can't I use a word"certainly"?

What's the difference between actually and certainly?

Samuel
Samuel

What's the difference between actually and certainly? #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:24 am   What's the difference between actually and certainly?

actually (SURPRISE)
adverb
used in sentences in which there is information that is in some way surprising or the opposite of what most people would expect:

I didn't like him at first, but in the end I actually got quite fond of him.
I'm one of the few people who doesn't actually like champagne.
HUMOROUS Don't tell me he actually paid for you! You are honoured!

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

Certainly means 'of course', which suggests that we are not surprised at the situation in question.
Conchita
Language Coach

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What's the meaning of the word "oar"? | Reference vs. background?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of "lying thief"'stick by him' vs 'stick from him'make an effort vs. make a startoriginal meaning of the idiom "as thick as thieves"dinner on Christmas vs. dinner in Christmasmeaning of daftIdiom: "got fed up to the back teeth with"What does the stomach really mean in this one?What does it mean to 'extend one's house'?Why is "clock didn't go off"?what is the meaning of peak?meaning of the expression "long live the underworld"What does "cache" mean?