to give money for goods or to cancel debts; to settle; to be worthwhile; to be profitable
tour
anger
extradite
pay

What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT?

End vs finish | unit 7
What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT? #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 01, 2007 0:32 am   What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT?

ESL/EFL Test #54 "Chit Chat: At the bus stop", question 5

Mike: That's true but you have to ......... a long time for a bus.

(a) attend
(b) expect
(c) wait
(d) await

ESL/EFL Test #54 "Chit Chat: At the bus stop", answer 5

Mike: That's true but you have to wait a long time for a bus.

Correct answer: (c) wait

Mike: That's true but you have to expect a long time for a bus.
_________________________

What?s the difference on usage of WAIT AND EXPECT?

Getta
Getta

What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT? #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:12 am   What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT?

Hi Getta,

The difference is between 'wait for' and 'expect'. You could for example 'wait for a postal delivery' at your house. This means you stay in the house until it comes. If you expect a 'delivery of a parcel' at your house, this means this is what you believe/hope or anticipate will happen.

Hope this helps.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT? #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:34 am   What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT?

Hi Alan,
Please tell me the difference between Wait and Await ... ?
Thanks ^^
Juna
Juna2020

Wait and await #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:11 am   Wait and await

What is the different between wait and await.
Lisa_Mard

Location: Indonesia

What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT? #5 (permalink) Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:49 am   What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT?

The difference between wait and await please
A lot of thanks ^_^
Juna2020

What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT? #6 (permalink) Mon Sep 28, 2009 16:33 pm   What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT?

Juna2020 wrote:
A lot of thanks ^_^

My humble understanding of the difference is :-
Wait means to stay or remain in readiness or expectation.. e.g Wait your turn. or wait long time for somebody
Await means to anticipate in the mind... .e.g. awaiting the manager approval. or,Wonders what awaits him next year.
Salah22

What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT? #7 (permalink) Fri Jun 29, 2012 20:05 pm   What's the difference on usage of WAIT and EXPECT?

Please, if possible, I would like more explanation about "wait and await" because I didn`t understand very well the statement above. Thanks.
Cristovam

End vs finish | unit 7
mix-up vs. mix-inin spite of vs. instead ofWhat does 'eclectic' mean?The verb "align"???SOccer~sports~TV~Portugal vs Spain Live Stream Uefa EURO 2012 Semi Final HD FreeESL tutor offerthe meaning of just a heads up?Which answer is right?What's wrong with vs. What's funny withHe's finished eating VERSUS he's finishes eatingWhy do you use what instead of which?A few drinks - countable nounsUsing apologize + "about" or "for"