Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who is resistant to change; person who favors traditional political parties
spread
likelihood
plan
conservative
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

bear vs. hold vs. carry

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"? | careened vs. reeled
listening exercises
bear vs. hold vs. carry #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 06, 2007 17:03 pm   bear vs. hold vs. carry

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #18 "Prepositions and Phrasal Verbs", question 8

The ambulance people had to bear the injured all the way down from the top of the hill.

(a) ambulance people
(b) bear
(c) injured

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #18 "Prepositions and Phrasal Verbs", answer 8

The ambulance people had to carry the injured all the way down from the top of the hill.

Correct entry: carry
The error was: (b) bear

TO HOLD?

Stephanie
Stephanie

bear vs. hold vs. carry #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:51 am   bear vs. hold vs. carry

'Carry' = hold and move.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
bear vs. hold vs. carry #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:03 am   bear vs. hold vs. carry

I thing they also have to bear them (their wailings and complaints about how bad they (injured) are)
So, why is "to bear" wrong here? cant it be used in that context?

Many thanks in advance :)
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

bear vs. hold vs. carry #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:29 am   bear vs. hold vs. carry

You've got a point there, LS. I think it's good that you think about and try out the various possible meanings of words.

But, to me, interpreting 'bear' that way in the sentence sounds as though either 1) the wailing and complaining suddenly stopped at the bottom of the hill or 2) the ambulance people no longer had to bear the wailing and complaining at the bottom of the hill. Why would that happen?

bear vs. hold vs. carry #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:59 am   bear vs. hold vs. carry

Hi, Amy !

Yankee wrote:
1) the wailing and complaining suddenly stopped at the bottom of the hill. Why would that happen?

They must have died by then :) (I'm just holding forth on it. Of couse my interpretation is a bit inhuman :oops: , so dont pay any mind to it)

Anyway, I got your point, thanks for your comment on it !:)
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"? | careened vs. reeled
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
yesterday vs. todaywhat is "has a screw loose" mean?difference between present perfect and present continuesWhat does 'speeded up' mean in this content?What do you mean by "as cool as cucumber"?What does majority mean?What does this idiom mean: to be into something?meaning of concludedWord order in a positive sentence'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each otherWhy can't we use the word "sour" in this context?what does "hairy" mean?Is manager also the owner of business?