Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

clearly; unmistakably; plainly; apparently
drastically
obviously
good
downward
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Why isnt't "remove all problems" a good answer? | What is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"?
listening exercises
'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2007 13:30 pm   'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #6 "Stop making plans", question 7

I can't coming out this evening I'm afraid because I have too many jobs to do in the house.

(a) can't coming
(b) I'm afraid
(c) to do

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #6 "Stop making plans", answer 7

I can't come out this evening I'm afraid because I have too many jobs to do in the house.

Correct entry: can't come
The error was: (a) can't coming

I think the sentence is not correct:
'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other.

Jetta
Jetta

'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2007 15:22 pm   'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other

I'm afraid is a parenthesis and should be separated.

I can't come out this evening, I'm afraid, because I have too many jobs to do in the house.
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 07, 2007 17:43 pm   'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other

I like your first suggestion the best, Pamela.

This is a sentence in which the commas are urgently needed if the word order is to be left as it is. :wink:

'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:53 am   'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other

Many thanks, Amy!

P.S. I deleted the last sentence.
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other #5 (permalink) Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:37 am   'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other

Jetta wrote:
'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each other.

No, we shouldn't change one expression for the other, Jetta, since 'I'm afraid' here means 'I'm sorry to have to say' and refers to the fact that 'I can't come out this evening'. However, we could start the sentence with 'I'm afraid (I can't come...)'.
Conchita
Language Coach

Why isnt't "remove all problems" a good answer? | What is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
difference between present perfect and present continuesWhat does 'speeded up' mean in this content?What do you mean by "as cool as cucumber"?What does majority mean?What does this idiom mean: to be into something?careened vs. reeledmeaning of concludedWord order in a positive sentenceWhy can't we use the word "sour" in this context?bear vs. hold vs. carrywhat does "hairy" mean?Is manager also the owner of business?Idiom: To bend over backwards