Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

bill of sale; written statement of purchases
insurance
lawsuit
negligence
receipt
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

careened vs. reeled

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
bear vs. hold vs. carry | Difference between desert and leave
listening exercises
careened vs. reeled #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:59 am   careened vs. reeled

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #106 "Synonyms for stagger and walk", question 9

They were experiencing the first storm since the voyage started, the wind was so fast that the ship ......... and people from the deck started falling out of it in the open sea.

(a) careened
(b) staggered
(c) faltered
(d) reeled

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #106 "Synonyms for stagger and walk", answer 9

They were experiencing the first storm since the voyage started, the wind was so fast that the ship careened and people from the deck started falling out of it in the open sea.

Correct answer: (a) careened

Your answer was: incorrect
They were experiencing the first storm since the voyage started, the wind was so fast that the ship reeled and people from the deck started falling out of it in the open sea.

hi,

i din't understand why careened is used in this senario....i'm looking for explanation...

please help regarding this, sir...
Ottke
Ottke

careened vs. reeled #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:02 am   careened vs. reeled

Me too.
I saw this written in my dict.: "We felt the ship shake and reel"
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
bear vs. hold vs. carry | Difference between desert and leave
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
yesterday vs. todaywhat is "has a screw loose" mean?difference between present perfect and present continuesWhat does 'speeded up' mean in this content?What do you mean by "as cool as cucumber"?What does majority mean?What does this idiom mean: to be into something?What is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"?meaning of concludedWord order in a positive sentence'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each otherWhy can't we use the word "sour" in this context?what does "hairy" mean?