to cancel; to revoke
facilitate
corrupt
abolish
exceed

What does majority mean?

Difference between desert and leave | What does this idiom mean: to be into something?
What does majority mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 10, 2007 18:24 pm   What does majority mean?

ESL/EFL Test #17 "Eating Out", question 2

They simply couldn't decide which restaurant to choose and so in the end they took a vote and the ......... decided on a Chinese one.

(a) most
(b) more
(c) majority
(d) main

ESL/EFL Test #17 "Eating Out", answer 2

They simply couldn't decide which restaurant to choose and so in the end they took a vote and the majority decided on a Chinese one.

Correct answer: (c) majority

They simply couldn't decide which restaurant to choose and so in the end they took a vote and the most decided on a Chinese one.
_________________________

Why "majority" is the correct answer? What does it mean in this sentence?

Leo Di
Leo Di

What does majority mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 10, 2007 19:29 pm   What does majority mean?

The majority is the largest number or, as in the test sentence, most people.

Note that 'most' would be used without article.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What does majority mean? #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 10, 2007 21:20 pm   What does majority mean?

another way to look at it:

majority = 50% +1 (or more)
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

yesterday vs. todaywhat is "has a screw loose" mean?difference between present perfect and present continuesWhat does 'speeded up' mean in this content?What do you mean by "as cool as cucumber"?careened vs. reeledWhat is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"?meaning of concludedWord order in a positive sentence'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each otherWhy can't we use the word "sour" in this context?bear vs. hold vs. carryI guess, point of view also fits here, doesnt it?