must (indicating duty or obligation); would (softening the statement)
withdraw
jeopardy
should
entrust

What does 'speeded up' mean in this content?

difference between present perfect and present continues | what is "has a screw loose" mean?
What does 'speeded up' mean in this content? #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 12, 2007 13:27 pm   What does 'speeded up' mean in this content?

ESL/EFL Test #36 "Super Supermarkets", question 7

Inquiries are held which seem to go on forever and you only wish that the procedure could be ..........

(a) speeded through
(b) speeded along
(c) speeded up
(d) speeded in

ESL/EFL Test #36 "Super Supermarkets", answer 7

Inquiries are held which seem to go on forever and you only wish that the procedure could be speeded up.

Correct answer: (c) speeded up
_________________________

why?

Sergio
Sergio

What does 'speeded up' mean in this content? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 12, 2007 14:18 pm   What does 'speeded up' mean in this content?

.
'Up' is included in many phrasal verbs to indicate an increased intensity or tempo, or to emphasize completion:

The procedure was speeded up. (= made to operate with more speed)
Please finish up your homework. (= please finish it quickly)
I wrapped up the gift. (= wrapped it completely)
.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'Even a dead cat will bounce if dropped from high enough' mean?What does "still in the black" mean?when we can able to use this word "yelp"?Is it an idiom: 'convert prospects into paying customers'?Is it an idiom: 'repeat business'?yesterday vs. todayWhat do you mean by "as cool as cucumber"?What does majority mean?What does this idiom mean: to be into something?careened vs. reeledWhat is the origin of the phrase, "egg him on"?'I'm afraid' and 'because' should be switched each otherbear vs. hold vs. carry