fee for sending letters or packages by mail
postage
conversation
customs
duration

Newscaster vs. newsagent

It should be "What are you doing here?" | Idiomatic expression "what's in store on television"?
Newscaster vs. newsagent #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:51 am   Newscaster vs. newsagent

Test No. incompl/elem-23 "On TV tonight", question 7

This will be read by the very pretty ......... Penny Lane.

(a) newsagent
(b) newscaster
(c) newsbringer
(d) newspaper

Test No. incompl/elem-23 "On TV tonight", answer 7

This will be read by the very pretty newscaster Penny Lane.

Correct answer: (b) newscaster

This will be read by the very pretty newsagent Penny Lane.
_________________________

Hi Alan,
What's the difference between "newsagent", "newsbringer", "newscaster"?
Thank you
KYTTIE
KYTTIE

Newsagent #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:54 am   Newsagent

Newsagent is a shop/person selling newspapers - newsbringer is an oldfashioned word used say in Roman times when people carried messages from one king to another - newscaster is someone who reads the news on TV.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Newscaster vs. newsagent #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 30, 2007 17:00 pm   Newscaster vs. newsagent

Excellent! It's a very interesting answer!
LarryJCP

Location: Caracas, Venezuela

Newscaster vs. newsagent #4 (permalink) Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:14 am   Newscaster vs. newsagent

Hi Alan

Thank you for your answers about newsagent, newsbringer, and newscaster, it's clear!
Filcanlas

Location: saudi arabia

Newscaster vs. newsagent #5 (permalink) Tue Aug 25, 2009 14:03 pm   Newscaster vs. newsagent

hi alan,
why is here " by the very pretty, it can be "by a very pretty" what is appropriate usage here?
Vara

Newscaster vs. newsagent #6 (permalink) Tue Aug 25, 2009 16:49 pm   Newscaster vs. newsagent

Hi Vara,

You need the definite article 'the' here because the phrase refers to one specific person -- Penny Lane.

By the way, please remember to capitalize the beginning of a sentence and names such as Alan.

Many thanks,

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a university student and an employee in the university registrar's office

Newscaster vs. newsagent #7 (permalink) Fri Mar 12, 2010 21:42 pm   Newscaster vs. newsagent

Hi, Torsten,

I'd like to know what does "By the way, please remember to capitalize the begining of a sentence and names such as Alan" means?

Sorry, I'm a new learner ^^

Anyway, thanks in advance....
ThaiEng

Location: Thailand, Bangkok

Capitalising begining of the sentences and names #8 (permalink) Mon Jan 02, 2012 17:59 pm   Capitalising begining of the sentences and names

Hello ThaiEng,
In English we start any new sentence with a capital letter for the first word. Also we capitalise the first letter of a name, place, name of a language, weekday, etc. That's what capitalising the begining of sentence mean.
For example,
"let us go to the market. we will eat pizza there. what do you say paul?" is a wrong sentence.

"Let us go to the market. We will eat pizza there. What do you say Paul? is the correct sentence.

I hope it's clear now. I am also a learner. By the way what's your real name?

With Regards
Santak Dalai
Santak

Newscaster vs. newsagent #9 (permalink) Thu Jun 14, 2012 19:17 pm   Newscaster vs. newsagent

for the answer Allan
is very clear
Cherrypzta

ESL tutor offerTest incompl/elem-284, User's Answer 9Which answer is right?The meaning of "for"???look forward to sleeping infinance chargesmeaning of spring'What does NATO stand for' vs 'Where does NATO stand for?'What does "up to his ears in" mean?Why do you use what instead of which?'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'A few drinks - countable nounsPain vs. hurt