purchase; something that has been purchased or obtained
acquisition
appearance
episode
finish

Meaning of "ivory towers"

checked into the hotel vs. checked on the hotel | What does garbled mean?
Meaning of "ivory towers" #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 17, 2007 13:52 pm   Meaning of "ivory towers"

ESL/EFL Test #310 "Science and marketing (1)", question 1

Gitte Meyer of the Copenhagen Business School notes that during the past decades, swarms of scientists from a wide range of fields have migrated from their ......... and descended onto the marketplace, adapting themselves to marketing practices in the process.

(a) ivory towers
(b) leaning towers
(c) towering infernos
(d) towers of Babel

ESL/EFL Test #310 "Science and marketing (1)", answer 1

Gitte Meyer of the Copenhagen Business School notes that during the past decades, swarms of scientists from a wide range of fields have migrated from their ivory towers and descended onto the marketplace, adapting themselves to marketing practices in the process.

Correct answer: (a) ivory towers
_________________________

Meaning of "ivory towers"

Torchelly
Torchelly

Meaning of "ivory towers" #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 17, 2007 22:16 pm   Meaning of "ivory towers"

Ivory towers are an imaginary place where an intellectual can keep away from contact with the everyday world.

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
have vs. willWhat is the difference between facilitate and facility?Why can't write a SOME order?what does incessant mean?what does granting mean?meaning of near bonesome cream in your coffee vs. few cream in your coffeewhat is the first person object pronoun?This room is as same as mine vs. This room is the same as mineWhat does session mean?what is the meaning of haul?What does 'Even a dead cat will bounce if dropped from high enough' mean?What does "still in the black" mean?