during
considering
upon
within
except

Expression: "the same size as"

Price has risen | Slipped my mind
Expression: "the same size as" #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:42 am   Expression: "the same size as"

ESL/EFL Test #180 "Australiana: expressions that describe life in Australia", question 1

Australia is roughly the same ......... as the United States with less than a tenth of the people.

(a) bulk
(b) landmass
(c) size
(d) volume

ESL/EFL Test #180 "Australiana: expressions that describe life in Australia", answer 1

Australia is roughly the same size as the United States with less than a tenth of the people.

Correct answer: (c) size
_________________________

why?

Dima
Dima

Expression: "the same size as" #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:05 am   Expression: "the same size as"

'Size' is used here to suggest how big something is.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: "the same size as" #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 02, 2009 20:34 pm   Expression: "the same size as"

I couldn't understand the second part of the sentence. '... as the United States with less than a tenth of the people.'

Could you please explain it?

Itsybitsyspider

Expression: "the same size as" #4 (permalink) Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:43 am   Expression: "the same size as"

This means that in the United States there live ten times as many people as in Australia. In other words: The population of the United States is ten times bigger than the population of Australia.

TOEFL listening discussions: Two roommates talking about fraternities

Price has risen | Slipped my mind
Present simple after 'when'?What does 'knock on' mean here?inside vs sideMeaning of budsIf you should need someone?What does in the hour mean?What does mortgage and pre-approved mean?What does bounsed a check and NSF mean?Application of Financial Management in the business environment of Pakistan?what is butcher?'On hand' = 'in stock'"possibly" vs "probably"Meaning of "wrappin one's head around of something"