Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

during
considering
upon
within
except
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: "the same size as"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Price has risen | Slipped my mind
listening exercises
Expression: "the same size as" #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:42 am   Expression: "the same size as"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #180 "Australiana: expressions that describe life in Australia", question 1

Australia is roughly the same ......... as the United States with less than a tenth of the people.

(a) bulk
(b) landmass
(c) size
(d) volume

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #180 "Australiana: expressions that describe life in Australia", answer 1

Australia is roughly the same size as the United States with less than a tenth of the people.

Correct answer: (c) size

why?

Dima
Dima

Expression: "the same size as" #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:05 am   Expression: "the same size as"

Hi,

'Size' is used here to suggest how big something is.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: "the same size as" #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 02, 2009 20:34 pm   Expression: "the same size as"

Hi,

I couldn't understand the second part of the sentence. '... as the United States with less than a tenth of the people.'

Could you please explain it?

Thanks.
Itsybitsyspider

Expression: "the same size as" #4 (permalink) Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:43 am   Expression: "the same size as"

This means that in the United States there live ten times as many people as in Australia. In other words: The population of the United States is ten times bigger than the population of Australia.

TOEFL listening discussions: Two roommates talking about fraternities
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Price has risen | Slipped my mind
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Present simple after 'when'?What does 'knock on' mean here?inside vs sideMeaning of budsIf you should need someone?What does in the hour mean?What does mortgage and pre-approved mean?What does bounsed a check and NSF mean?Application of Financial Management in the business environment of Pakistan?what is butcher?'On hand' = 'in stock'"possibly" vs "probably"Meaning of "wrappin one's head around of something"